We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite Tioga Pass June

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cornwall
Level Contributor
61 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite Tioga Pass June

Hello folks - is the Tioga Pass open in mid - June - we have a roadtrip booked and we are staying in El Portal at the Yose View Lodge and then one nt in Mammoth at the Alpenhof.

We then go onto Death Valley but I really want to go over the Pass and I cant wait to see Yosemite.

Thanks for all your help - I am sure I will be on here leading upto the trip for all your great knowledge. The agency had such an offer of 20% we went ahead and booked - now I am worried !!!

Regards and thanks

Alison x

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite Tioga Pass June

I understand that the opening of Tioga Pass is soley based on the snow melt...so it depends on how much snow they get this winter and how fast it melts..from what I understand. The later in June the better.

here is a chart of historical openings from the Yosemite web site:

www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

We have the same trip planned

After a week on the California coastline...

Yosemite (Foresta rental house)

then Mammoth Lakes and onto Death Valley NP...ours will be the last week of June so i am hoping the road will be open as well!

Edited: 03 August 2010, 17:06
Cornwall
Level Contributor
61 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite Tioga Pass June

Fingers crossed then !!!! Hopefully if there is snow we will have to make a detour somewhere - will have to look into it !!! OMG

Burlingame, CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite Tioga Pass June

Tioga Pass opening depends entirely on the snow pack. The later in June, the more likely it is to be open. You do have a lot more driving than sightseeing planned. Drive times in the mountains are a lot longer than you may be used to. I live there. Yosemite speed limit is 40 mph or less. Figure 2 hours from Yosemite Valley to Tioga Pass without stops. A bit more if you are not used to mountain driving. Most likely, the pass will be open and may have several feet of snow banked along the road. Figure an alternative just in case -- it is a long one either via Tahoe or around the south end of the Sierra (better choice). Enjoy

4. Re: Yosemite Tioga Pass June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 07:18