We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran to Yosemite 1 night stay

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
San Fran to Yosemite 1 night stay

I'm staying in San Fran in early Sept Mon, Tues & Wed night then picking the car up on the Thursday about 11am to travel towards Yosemite.

I'm staying in El Portal so probably go straight to the hotel to check in. Is there anything worthwhile visiting on my way out of San Fran to El Portal? How long does it take to travel to El Portal from Union Square area?

My inital plan was to stay overnight then go into Yosemite National park on the Friday but then I need to travel to Bridgeport on the Friday night.

After reading some suggestions on here i'm now changing my mind and i'm thinking about dropping my bags off at the hotel then going straight into the park. I suppose it depends on what time I arrive.

Can you please give me some ideas on what to go and see that afternoon (Glacier Point sunset?). I'm then thinking about spending the Friday using the shuttle bus then leave sometime in the afternoon to travel along the Tioga Pass then up to Bridgeport.

Anyone know roughly how long that drive will take?

Thanks in advance for your help

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,014 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fran to Yosemite 1 night stay

Mileages & driving times from the Valley: nps.gov/yose/…mileages9-2007.pdf

I think your second plan sounds fine. Take a picnic dinner with you when you enter the Park (or pick up sandwiches somewhere) and eat at Glacier Point. It's probably 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours back to El Portal from Glacier Point.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fran to Yosemite 1 night stay

I agree- go with plan B

I don't think there is a single reader on this forum who would disagree with me when I say that there is nothing in between SF and Yosemite that is more worthy of your time than time spent in Yosemite, particularly when you only have one night there.

The drive from SF to Yosemite will be just over 4 hours. Why not get out early and spend the afternoon in Yosemite valley itself? Instead of using the shuttle buses, enjoy the scenery as you enter the valley (there is a traveler article in the Things To Do section on the left called "What to see as you drive into the valley") then park at Curry and rent some bikes. That way you can see the upper end of the valley up close and personal.

Edited: 04 August 2010, 16:47
Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fran to Yosemite 1 night stay

Thanks for the replies. I think I wll try and pick the car up a bit earlier on the Thursday so I can get to Yosemite sooner.

I like the bike option. Do you know how far (miles) you will cycle while in the park. Just so I can work out whether thats an option or wheather my legs wont cycle that far.

Also any idea what time sunset is and is the best place glacier point for this

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Fran to Yosemite 1 night stay

I don't want to keep you away from Bridgeport but why not stay Lee Vining if you want to continue to DV after that?

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Fran to Yosemite 1 night stay

Tet14 ,Thanks for the reply. I am thinking about visiting Bodie Ghost Town the next morning so thought a stop over at Bridgeport would be good. Hoepfully Bodie is worth visiting. Seems to get some good reviews

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Fran to Yosemite 1 night stay

Bodie is fantastic. Allow at least a couple of hours for it but it's still easier to visit it from Lee Vining instead Bridgeport. A roundtrip Lee Vining-Bodie-Lee Vining app. takes 3+ hours Maybe also visit Mono Lake. Special place! App. 1.5 hours would be enough. Last part of the drive into Bodie (app. 3 miles) is a bit rough on a dirtroad. And also maybe have something to eat at Whoa Nellie Deli behind the Lee Vining fuel pump at ca120.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,014 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Fran to Yosemite 1 night stay

Here is the Valley map with bike paths marked: yosemite.ca.us/maps/yosemite_valley_overview… I think the Valley is reported to be 7 miles long, but you won't be allowed to take a rental bike on all the roads (some are just for cars.)

When you're on the bike, be sure to ride out to Mirror Lake/Meadow to get a great view of Half Dome.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Fran to Yosemite 1 night stay

Tet14, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatley I have already booked my hotel in Bridgeport as I thought it would be easier but from you reply it seems that staying in Lee Vining would have beent the better option. Is Bridgeport that far out the way

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Fran to Yosemite 1 night stay

PacificNW Family, Thanks for the reply. 7 miles seems easy enough and will give us more freedom. It will be a change from driving.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Fran to Yosemite 1 night stay

I think you're going to enjoy getting to know the valley on a bicycle- and the trail is very flat.

And if, for some reason, you don't find yourself able to get all the way to Glacier Point in time for sunset, the Tunnel View lookout is also a good sunset spot.