We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convertible cars - safe in Yosemite?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ingatestone, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Convertible cars - safe in Yosemite?

We're thinking of renting a Mustang or Sebring convertible for our tour around California next summer. There will be just the two of us, and we'll be packing light so we can fit our luggage in the trunk!

Probably a silly question, but: is it safe to have a convertible vehicle in Yosemite when there are bears about? We're staying in Foresta for 4 nights; obviously we won't keep any food in the car overnight but I am a little unsure whether bears would be more likely to break into a car with a soft roof.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,057 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convertible cars - safe in Yosemite?

Bears think ALL roofs are soft. WEll, maybe the windows are softer in some cases. If a bear wants into your car, too bad for the car. The park published lengthy guidelines about trying to keep bears out of cars, but the bears can't read. maybe the previous renter dropped some salami in the back seat.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convertible cars - safe in Yosemite?

I've seen Hummers with their door ripped off by Yosemite bears. Just keep ZERO food in your car or you may well be a victim.

Having said that with proper precautions you will be fine. No food stuffs, candy etc.left in car.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convertible cars - safe in Yosemite?

I had the same concerns with my ragtop but I was just in the park during the day and it was fine. I did check the car carefully before I left to make sure there wasn't anything remotely edible or smellable but I also figured that a soft top would be cheaper to replace than a hard one, if a bear really wanted iin!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,007 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convertible cars - safe in Yosemite?

People are more likely to break into a soft top car, but not bears.

In addition to removing all smellables, remove things that can be associated with food. A smart bear knows that plastic grocery sacks, pop cans, or water bottle type containers often have yummy things inside.

I think renting a convertible for your trip is a great idea. You might have the heat running full blast when you're driving along the coast, but Big Sur and Yosemite are the two places that are perfect for driving with the top down!

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convertible cars - safe in Yosemite?

Does that mean it isn't safe to pack a picnic lunch?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,007 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convertible cars - safe in Yosemite?

Once in awhile, bears are active during the day and looking for easy access to food. Generally, there are too many tourists around to make "hunting" feasible.

Would I leave a picnic lunch packed and viewable in the backseat of my car while I'm in the Visitor Center? Probably not. Would I leave a picnic lunch in the trunk while I'm stopped at the Visitor Center? Sure. But I usually carry my picnic lunch with me while I'm hiking. Where are you going to "pack" your picnic lunch?

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convertible cars - safe in Yosemite?

Actually, we might have a cooler for soda in the trunk, but the lunch will probably go with us in a backpack. I was just thinking if we started near daylight, went on a 4-5 mile hike, without lunch, and did lunch on a different hike. Didn't know about the timing of what we'll do, since we are sort of "plan as we go" for some of Yosemite.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convertible cars - safe in Yosemite?

A convertible car would have no more to worry about than a hard top. If you had a hard top would you leave your lunch in the car? During the day you'd likely have no problem. Never leave anything in any kind of car over night. We left our lunch & ice chest in out car parked near Happy Isle in a dirt parking lot and hiked to Vernal Falls & back about mid day. Had no problems.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Convertible cars - safe in Yosemite?

I should add that yes, it was a blast to cruise around with the top down! So go for it.

10. Re: Convertible cars - safe in Yosemite?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2011, 06:46