We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in April?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
twin cities
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
What to do in April?

We will be staying in West Yosemite for 3 nights in mid April and need to know how to plan our stay. I'm finding out that most roads are closed as are the tours. My husband can't hike, but I enjoy short hikes. We will have a 4 wheel drive, but I am reading that we need chains! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,095 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in April?

Yosemite Valley will be open, which has PLENTY to keep you occupied for a couple days. It is the high country that is closed that time of year. The Valley Tram Tour is running - definitely fun and gives a good overview of the valley. There are short walks - to see the waterfalls, through meadows, along the Merced River - quite beautiful.

twin cities
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in April?

Thanks for replying so quickly, it makes me feel better about our trip. We never would have gone so early in the season, but have a wedding in San Diego so thought we would drive to and tour the park.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,095 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in April?

I much prefer April to the summer time for Yosemite Valley - better waterfalls (they are fed by melting snow) and fewer crowds. The wildflowers should be really pretty too.

Summer is good for the high country, since that is the only time it is accessible, but the iconic features that everybody knows about Yosemite are in the valley - Half Dome, El Capitan, Yosemite Falls, etc.

4. Re: What to do in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 16:15