We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Signed up for 4 day/3 night trip through REI

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
73 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Signed up for 4 day/3 night trip through REI

We'll be meeting the group at 4 p.m. on Thursday. We fly in Wed evening and have reservations at Wawona hotel (~4,000 feet if I've done the right research). Given that we'll be at least half-way there by car and don't have to meet until 4 p.m., we'd like to do a day hike on Thursday before we meet our group. This should help us acclimate a bit too (coming from sea level)

On our trip, we will be traveling to Sunrise Trailhead by bus and visiting Sunrise Lakes, Lake Henry (which is nearly impossible to find online), Clouds Rest and then have permits for Half Dome.

Since all of that is east of the village area, I wanted to see if there is a good day hike between Wawona and Backpacker's Campground that is a "must do"?

We are a group of 3 women that hiked Rim-to-Rim Grand Canyon last year and felt we trained ourselves to exactly meet what was needed (in fact, 2 of the 3 of us said the R2R was too easy). So I think we're looking for a 4-6 hour moderately challenging hike (elevation) to help us acclimate. Suggestions?

And, can we get a pack lunch to carry with us? Any recommendations? I think Wawona has them but if we'll be in the main valley village area, we don't mind going to grab something if there is a great recommendation.

Thanks!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,431 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Signed up for 4 day/3 night trip through REI

This looks like your trip: www.rei.com/adventures/trips/weekend/yhd.html I think it will be a fabulous trip, and going up the Half Dome cables first thing in the morning sounds perfect. What is the date of your trip?

It's funny that REI Adventures didn't recommend Sacramento Airport (my first choice) or San Francisco Airport (best variety of flights and about as close as Oakland.)

Yes, Wawona is about 4,000' elevation. To get to the Valley, you'll drive up to Chinquapin at 6,000' and back down to the Valley at 4,000', all on the Wawona Road / Hwy 41. It takes about 45 - 60 minutes.

I have three ideas for a day hike.

1) Upper Chilnualna Fall. This one leaves from Wawona and has reasonable views, tho' not stupendous. It's about 8+ miles with 2,200' of elevation gain. The best part of this hike is probably swimming in the potholes at the top. The waterfall is pretty nice as well. This is lightly traveled.

2) Taft Point - Pohono Trail - Sentinel Dome loop. This one is on the Glacier Point road, so it is already at the higher elevation. It's more popular and you'll see families hiking the loop or just the Sentinel Dome portion. Most of the hike is around 7,500' elevation with maybe 500' of elevation gain. You'll get nice views across the Valley of El Capitan and Yosemite Falls.

3) Upper Yosemite Fall. Since this hike begins in the Valley and ais next to a world famous waterfall, it's very popular. It's probably the most challenging of the three I'm suggesting. It's about 7.5 miles, but you can go out further to Yosemite Point for more views. My source says it's a 2,600' elevation gain. Note that since you'll be next to the waterfall some of the time, you won't get that wonderful distance view.

I don't know about lunches, but Degnan's Deli in the Valley or the Wawona Store would probably have something for you. I usually bring my own stuff and try to get out on the trails before the stores are open.

Lots of hikes: www.YosemiteHikes.com

Chilnualna Fall: americansouthwest.net/california/yosemite/ch…

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
73 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Signed up for 4 day/3 night trip through REI

Yes, that is our trip - we have the Sept 14-17th one so I was afraid the Falls will be dry? Does it still make it a worthwhile hike?

Thanks so much!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,431 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Signed up for 4 day/3 night trip through REI

The waterflow will be very low in September, but the temperatures will be pleasant and the mosquitos will be gone from the high country!

>> the Falls will be dry<< Which waterfall?

There will still be water in Nevada and Vernal Falls as they are fed by rivers, not seasonal streams. These are the ones you'll see as you descend into the Valley on your last day. Yosemite Fall is likely to be dry and Bridalveil will be a wisp. Chilnualna Creek (in Wawona) will still have water, but not nearly as much as spring. The potholes will still be filled with water and should be fairly warm after a summer of sunshine.

4. Re: Signed up for 4 day/3 night trip through REI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park