We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonora Pass

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
368 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Sonora Pass

Keep checking on the progress at Yosemite. Wonder if anyone has any local information on how the clearing is going for Sonora Pass. What percentage is the likelihood of it being opened by 1st June? Trying to organise going from Yosemite instead of going north east making it a longer drive. Also how long does it take to drive from Sonora to Yosemite entrance. Any info appreciated.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonora Pass

The last report I heard was that the road from the west was open to Kennedy Meadows. However,a cold winter type storm is moving in tomorrow and I read one prediction of up to a foot of snow at the high elevatons. This can not be good for plowing and an opening date for you. We will jus have to wait and see.

I drove over Hwy 88 yesterday, and there is still a lot of snow on the ground at the high elevations.

uk
Level Contributor
368 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonora Pass

Thanks for that. Crikey - our plan was to go Hwy 88 if Sonora Pass not open. We do come from Scotland so used to the snow. Do you think the roads will be quite clear by 1st June on that highway. How long does it take to drive from Sonora that way to reach Bishop?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,004 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonora Pass

amaroneUk ~ caSwede says there is snow on the ground, not on the road.

Use Google Maps to get a driving time estimate. Note that they don't allow any time for stopping for scenery, stretching, taking photos, eating, or anything.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonora Pass

Yes- snow on the ground- not the road. In fact the road was totally dry, but lots of snow on the ground to the side of the road.

I am guessing you will have about an 4.5 to 5 hour drive from Sonora to Bishop using Sonora Pass. Probably about a 7 hour drive using Hwy 88.

uk
Level Contributor
368 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sonora Pass

Thanks so much for that information. Makes us able to plan our day.

Vestavia Hills...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sonora Pass

If you have internet access while on your trip, you can check the California Department of Transportation website page, typing in the road number:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

You can also call 1-800.427.7623 for current highway conditions.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sonora Pass

CaSwede is reporting that 108 will open this weekend:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k45050…

Edited: 26 May 2011, 02:17
8. Re: Sonora Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 07:17