We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite in April?

Puyallup, WA
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite in April?

We live in Washington State and were thinking of driving down to Yosemite for Spring Break next year. (1st week of April) Will it be too cold to camp at that time of year? How many days would we need to explore the park?

California
Level Contributor
687 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite in April?

April can be hard to predict except that it should be chilly at night, especially at the beginning of April.

April of last year, I spent a few days in Yosemite. It was in the 70s when I arrived. It was snowing (a lot) when I left.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite in April?

Hi WAReviewer ~ I've experiences just like jaimexplorer ... sunny then snowing. How cold are you willing to go for camping?

In April, the high country roads aren't yet open. So the general tourism is more limited. You'll be in the Valley, enjoying the waterfalls as they build volume. You can walk down into a small grove of Giant Sequoias, but it's likely the Mariposa Grove road will be closed. So it's 3 miles round trip walk to a small grove or 7.5 mile round trip walk to a larger grove with bigger trees.

Read some of the Trip Reports linked to the Top Questions (upper right) to see what appeals to you. Two days in the Valley and 1/2 day at Mariposa Grove could be enough. Or you might enjoy a more relaxed pace, renting bikes one day, wandering flatter trails another, and so on.

Including Monterey or San Francisco in your trip would allow you some warm days and something else to do.

August and September are great months to visit Yosemite, tho' the waterfalls are pretty low. All the Park roads are open and everything is accessible. Unfortunately that's also the best time to camp here in Washington as well!

If you do decide to camp in Yosemite, read the NPS website for details about getting campsite reservations. Camping in Yosemite is incredibly popular.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,605 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite in April?

I've been a couple times in April and had decent weather - it got damned cold one night, but overall it was ok. We stayed in Housekeeping Camp. I like that time of year because the falls are really flowing and you don't have the summer crowds. But I don't think I would camp that time of year again - the weather is too risky and I don't like camping in the rain or snow. I think we just lucked out the times we went.

4. Re: Yosemite in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2012, 07:32