We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Severely allergic to mosquitoes - should I be worried?

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Severely allergic to mosquitoes - should I be worried?

Hello,

I am going to Yosemite National Park June 13 - 15. While I am not camping, I will be spending time in the park. Can someone please let me know how bad the mosquitoes are there? I am quite nervous and considering changing my itinerary.

I'd be grateful for any insight at all.

Jessica

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,044 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Severely allergic to mosquitoes - should I be worried?

One of the Yosemite experts will come in here, but, as I remember, mosquitoes breed in still or shallow water. That certainly doesn't describe Yosemite this month !! <grin>

More seriously, I have not experienced a lot of mosquitoes in my Yosemite visits....

Edited: 04 June 2011, 02:04
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,688 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Severely allergic to mosquitoes - should I be worried?

They love meadows. So don't go to Cook's Meadow or Sentinel Meadow, especially in the late afternoon or early evening. There are places where streams have overrun their banks and made standing pools off trail; those are places where mozzies might breed.

Generally, I'm a mosquito magnet. But the Valley hasn't ever been horrible for me. If mozzies love you , then they may find you. Can you wear long sleeves, long pants, and some repellant?

I've heard that right now the mosquito population is still low. But I'm not in the Park now, so I hope we hear from folks who are actually there.

Arizona City...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Severely allergic to mosquitoes - should I be worried?

We've been in the park the last three days, but staying outside the park. We haven't encountered a single mosquito. The temperatures have been in the 50's the entire time. I think that helps. We haven't spent much time in the meadows, but we've been all over the valley.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Severely allergic to mosquitoes - should I be worried?

Here are some tips regarding mosquitoes that I have collected. Mosquitoes are most active starting at dusk and ending at dawn. They tend to be less active in the middle of the day.

When outdoors, wear light clothing that covers most of the body, keeping as much skin and hair covered as practical. Avoid bright, floral colors. Khaki, beige, and olive have no particular attraction for mosquitoes.

Wear loose fitting clothes to help prevent mosquitoes from reaching the skin and to retain less heat. If weather permits, wear long-sleeved clothes, socks and long pants. On hot days, you will want lightweight, loose-fitting clothes, to cover as much of your body as possible while still remaining comfortable. Consider using a headnet to protect your face.

Consider treating your clothes with permethrin repellents. But do not use permethrins on your skin. There is even insect-resistant clothing you can buy: http://www.buzzoffoutdoorwear.com

Don't apply insect repellent under clothes, or too much may be absorbed. Also, avoid applying repellent to portions of the hands that are likely to come in contact with the eyes and mouth.

Apply insect repellent containing DEET (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) when you're outdoors. DEET-containing products should not be used on children under 2 months of age.

Oil from the Lemon Eucalyptus tree (Corymbia citriodora) is considered to be a somewhat effective repellent, so if you can't or don't want to use DEET, try one of the repellents that contain Lemon Eucalyptus (Cutter and Repel are 2 brands that make a Lemon Eucalyptus based repellent). It is generally considered less effective than DEET, but might be effective enough in some situations. The Centers for Disease Control lists lemon eucalyptus as an effective repellent.

Avoid wearing perfumes, colognes, fragrant hair sprays, lotions and soaps which attract mosquitoes. Avoid fragrances in soaps, shampoos, and lotions.

Eating a lot of garlic, from what I've read, is an effective way to help repel mosquitoes from you (and probably people as well).

Some people claim that taking Vitamin B1 supplements in the morning before going out hiking helps keep mosquitoes away, but I'm not too sure about that one.

You will want to avoid places with standing water, as that is where mosquitoes lay their eggs, and thus are plentiful there. Meadows are common locations of standing water, and this June there may be lots of standing water in the meadows, though later in the year such as September, meadows may be dried out.

For some reason, mosquitoes don't like breezy or windy weather, and bites are far less common on days that are windy. I think the theory is they can't fly well in turbulent air. So hope for windy weather.

As a side note, if you are hiking at high elevations such as the Glacier Point area or Tuolumne Meadows, remember the sunlight is intense at high elevations, the UV index is high, and you can get sunburned easily. Remember to bring an effective sunscreen and use it when hiking in those areas.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Severely allergic to mosquitoes - should I be worried?

We were in Yosemite last week and encountered a lot of mosquitoes in the meadows, especially in the late afternoon/early evening.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Severely allergic to mosquitoes - should I be worried?

We were in Yosemite last week and encountered a lot of mosquitoes in the meadows, especially in the late afternoon/early evening.

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
699 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Severely allergic to mosquitoes - should I be worried?

I was in the valley last June ( 21st - 25th). I have never had a problem with mosquitoes before but I got quite badly bitten there.

I first noticed it after an afternoon walk through the cemetery near the visitors centre and along to the base of Yosemite falls. I got more on a middle of the day tram tour in the valley.

They made me quite miserable. BW92116 gave me the same excellent advice after I came back and I intend to follow it on our trip in September. Unwittingly I was doing everything wrong last June and I was bitten in places that I can't put into print. My husband was untouched! I was interested in the advice on avoiding perfumes etc. I like to wear perfume but my husband can't wear anything perfumed due to a skin problem so even his deodorant is unperfumed and he doesn't wear aftershave etc. So maybe this is part of the answer to why he didn't suffer as I did.

If you have bad allergies you are right to be cautious, but it would be such a shame to miss out on visiting the Park. Come well prepared and follow all of the excellent advice given and hopefully all will be well.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Severely allergic to mosquitoes - should I be worried?

Thank you all for your fantastic advice.

I am quite nervous, to be honest.

I hope it is cool enough to wear long sleeved shirts and pants.

Thanks!

Jessica

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Severely allergic to mosquitoes - should I be worried?

When you say severe allergy, do you mean anaphylaxis throat closing up have to call the emergency room to breathe? Because if so, then yes, you might want to consider changing your plans.

The mosquitoes are here, though not in mass quantities as they will be in a couple of weeks. Evenings are the worst, however i was bitten in the Happy Isles area between 11am and 1pm late last week. 4 bites over 2 hours, so not as bad as I've been bitten in other years in the summer, but still definitely bites. I didn't have any repellent on at all.

I've also had good luck with wearing a hat that I've sprayed with repellent in addition to the long sleeves/pants.

Good luck!

Yosemite / Sierra...
Level Contributor
560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Severely allergic to mosquitoes - should I be worried?

For those of you that get a bad reaction from a mosquito bite - you know who you are. Mosquitos find you no matter what you do to discourage them. I am one of those people. I attract mosquitos big time - I guess it is my sweet blood. Believe it or not, I also get a bad reaction from lady bugs that bite when they swarm. So what do I do? For one, I do not avoid going places as I do not want mosquitos to get the best of me. I wear light colored clothing and cover up as much as I can, including using a head veil. I wear some form of DEET insect repellant and make sure I put it on exposed parts of my body. I carry it with me at all times. I do avoid being outside at dusk and dawn. I have been eaten alive in Yosemite, but the timing is different with each new year. I recently heard about a product called Stops the Sting, so I purchased some online. It is suppose to neutralize the venom and kill the pain from stinging insects and takes the itch out of mosquito bites. The jury is still out, so I am still hoping it will work. The problem is the large welts I get from the bites in addition to the itch.

Bottom line...if you are cautious and prepared you can prevent mosquitos from attacking you.

Enjoy your visit!