We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If the US government default will they close National Parks?

Perth
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
If the US government default will they close National Parks?

I'm panicing.

Is this a possiblity? If so, when would it happen?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If the US government default will they close National Parks?

To be honest, "ALL" groups/political parties/influence groups in US politics are using scare tactics right now, and that is what they are, to scare folks.

But IMHO, I think the government is going to basically function normally for at least the short term.

Perth
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If the US government default will they close National Parks?

I hope you are right... I saw the question on another thread. It never occurred to me that it was a possibility but now I think about it.. I'm worried.

I dont want to scare people.. but from a personal perspective we've just forked out over $20000 on a huge trip that basically revolves around national parks. If they were to closed our holiday would be a disaster.. as Im sure many many others

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,205 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If the US government default will they close National Parks?

That would be the least of my worries if the US defaults.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,247 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If the US government default will they close National Parks?

“ If the US government default will they close National Parks? ”

Who knows what this government is going to do? They (both parties) are playing the American citizens against *their* political agendas, neither of which I trust.

They do not have, at this point, the interests of the country on their agendas, only who stays in power. Forget about democracy.

This thread may be closed because of my political rant if I do not get it back to a travel subject.

State and National Parks are at risk. This may mean that you cannot get into some of them, or if you do there will be no facilities available. I would stay up on the websites of these various parks if you plan to visit them.

Some...for example Fort Ross State Historical Park on the Sonoma Coast has already posted that it is now only open on weekends.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If the US government default will they close National Parks?

We are a TRAVEL Board, and as a "foreigner" who spent a LOT of money to visit the US, that is THEIR focus, and is what we should be focusing on in this thread.

Here in California, we recently dealt with the issue with State Run parks and possible closings due to the State budget.

Pretty much end up with some minor issues, but for the most part, no main issues.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If the US government default will they close National Parks?

I doubt they would close any of the popular national parks, since they make money for the government, both through entrance fees and fees paid to the government by concession operators (DNC, Xanterra, etc.) If the government shut down the big parks, they would lose all that income. If they shut any parks it would probably be the most remote and/or least-visited national parks such as Kobuk Valley, Lake Clark, Gates of the Arctic, Isle Royale, North Cascades, Dry Tortugas, Wrangell-St. Elias, Katmai, Great Basin and other national parks, National Forest areas that take in relatively little income, and other places like that. They aren't likely to shut down an income-producing place like Yosemite, with 4 million visitors per year spending the entrance fees and spending money at the concessioners, some of which goes to the National Park Service.

Edited: 27 July 2011, 06:33
Perth
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If the US government default will they close National Parks?

Ok thank you.... I am at least breathing again...

I do realise that if the US defaults my holiday will be the last thing ANYONE is concerned about (apart from me and my family). And I would be devastated for all US citizens, I have many friends over there.

But this is Tripadvisor and it wouldnt just be my holiday would it, would be lots and lots of peoples holidays!

OK so lets just hope that its a scare tactic and everything gets resolved... I wil be watching it very closely.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If the US government default will they close National Parks?

I just have been thinking, it isn't JUST the Government, but also Private groups...

Many folks here at TA have asked about Major Sporting Events...

The National Football League just sealed a major 10 year deal to preserve the entire 2011-2012 season, after an off-season Labor dispute.

The National Basketball League was just "locked" out and has the same basic problems. But this time, folks don't expect it to be solved by the beginning of the regular season.

Companies go into or out of business in the US on a regular basis.

Hotels and Restaurants that are booked can be found to be worthless without any notice.

This time, we are talking about the USA Federal Government, but many states have had to close down at least some of its tourist offerings recently. The state of Minnesota is one of the latest.

I am not sure if "campgrounds" are eligible for Travel Insurance, but I would look into it, especially if you are spending a large amount of money.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If the US government default will they close National Parks?

Who will feed the bears?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If the US government default will they close National Parks?

It's a very interesting question - I doubt anyone, even in the treasury department, actually knows the answer. I think in the very short term it wouldn't make any difference, i.e., people who work at National Parks would show up for work expecting to be paid as usual - the problem begins when they don't get paid.

My understanding is that it's a little bit different than a relatively simple government shutdown because while the government isn't really shutdown, the treasury department won't be able to pay all its "bills" on a daily basis. I have also read that it's not clear if payments can even be prioritized, or if they would be. I think if they could be prioritized, paying park employees would have to be pretty far down on the list. I doubt that the idea that parks are profitable (if they are - I find that a bit hard to believe but I really don't know) would have much relevance, but it might.