We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite or Lake Tahoe

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Yosemite or Lake Tahoe

Travelling to CA for the first time next summer and have most of the trip organised. However have four days free to tour (by car) either Yosemite or Lake Tahoe or both. How many days would be enough to see either or both? Or are they both worth seeing? Personally I'd like to see both but if for instance Lake Tahoe's not worth seeing then I'd be better off spending all the time at Yosemite or vice versa. If it makes any difference, there would be 2 adults and 2 young teenagers travelling. Thanks

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite or Lake Tahoe

Where will you be coming from just before Tahoe or Yosemite and where will you be headed after your 4 days?

Dublin, Ireland
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite or Lake Tahoe

I will be driving from San Francisco and back to there

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite or Lake Tahoe

So you could drive the 4 hours from SF to Tahoe, stay 2 nights and then drive south on 395 enter Yosemite from the east and stay 2 nights before returning to SF. Seeing the eastern side of the Sierra is really worth the trip.

California
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite or Lake Tahoe

Yosemite, Yosemite, Yosemite. Or do both but put the most time and emphasis on Yosemite, maybe one night in Tahoe and three nights Yosemite.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
138 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite or Lake Tahoe

BOTH!!!

2 nights in each - or at a push one night in Lake tahoe and 3 in Yosemite as there is SO much to see in Yosemite!

ooh - just realised that is waht Lorenky suggested!

I agree with suzie-travels - we did this and it was really interesting.

Enjoy it!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,704 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite or Lake Tahoe

Both are worth your time. Two nights each would be good, but your choices may be driven by the availablity of lodging. Multiple nights inside the park at Yosemite are hard to book, even way in advance, unless you choose Curry village, which would be fine for your family if you don't mind the rustic feel. They have cabins and tent cabins that will sleep four. Yosemite Lodge also has family rooms, but they do book up a year in advance.

At Lake Tahoe, take a look at Camp Richardson, which is right on the beach a bit away from the South Shore city. The marina motel units can sleep four and are available for 1 or 2 nights, no weekly minimum. This resort complex has a nice beach, some historic buildings to explore, on-site bicyle rentals and a long bike path to explore, and a stables for horseback riding. I think your children would really like the beach

Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite or Lake Tahoe

Unless you're planning another trip to this area I would try to do both. I'll be making my first trip to Yosemite in Sept. but have been to Lake Tohoe and it is beautiful.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite or Lake Tahoe

Hi,

How long does it take to drive from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite? Just tried google mapping it and it just says unable to calculate.

Thanks (and sorry for hijacking your thread!)

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yosemite or Lake Tahoe

What time of year?

If Tioga Pass is open you should drive 395 to 120 into the park. South Lake Tahoe to 120 s about 2.5 hours. 120 to the valley is harder to predict because you may stop along the way. A straight drive to Yosemite Valley from Lee Vining would be about 2 hours. Lee Vining is at the turn off from 395 onto 120.

If Tioga Pass is closed you'd have to take a different route but it would be about the same amount of time.

Here's a handy mileage chart for Yosemite:

nps.gov/yose/…mileages9-2007.pdf

Edited: 13 August 2011, 20:39
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yosemite or Lake Tahoe

It would be mid September. Thanks for the link.