We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive time from Big Oak Flat to Tioga Pass?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Drive time from Big Oak Flat to Tioga Pass?

Does anybody know an approximate drive time straight from the Big Oak Flat park entrance to Tioga Pass? This would be done on a Sunday in late October

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,503 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive time from Big Oak Flat to Tioga Pass?

Assuming that the roads are open & clear, that there is no traffic delaying you (no lumbering RVs), that you aren't stopping, and that your final destination is the Tioga Pass entrance station, I would guess that the 55 mile drive should take you between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 hours. The speed limit varies from 25 mph to 45 mph, but much of the drive is the faster speed limit.

Mileages from the Valley: nps.gov/yose/…mileages9-2007.pdf

LA
Level Contributor
10,491 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive time from Big Oak Flat to Tioga Pass?

It shouldn't be at faster speed.

Animals, especially bears and bear cubs are being killed by drivers along that road that are exceeding the speed limit.

Please obey the posted limits and watch very carefullly for wildlife.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive time from Big Oak Flat to Tioga Pass?

Also, if your heading out in the early morning watch out for icy roads. You usually cannot see it on the road. I'd rather drive through 2 feet of snow than over ice.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,503 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive time from Big Oak Flat to Tioga Pass?

I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. I am not suggesting that anyone drive faster than the posted 45 mph speed limit; I am saying that 45 mph is faster than 25 mph and more of the route is 45 mph.

The 55 miles between the Big Oak Flat Entrance and the Tioga Pass Entrance passes through several congested areas. In those areas, the speed limit will be the slower speed (usually 25 mph.) So you'll be slowed down at the entrance stations, at Crane Flat gas station, and through Tuolumne Meadows. Most of Tioga Road is the faster speed limit, 45 mph. But there are some areas where it's 35 mph ~ near campgrounds, busy trailheads, Tenaya Lake, and such. (In fact, most park roads are 35 mph. It's just the Tioga Road that has the long 45 mph sections.)

To my recollection, most of the 55 miles you'll drive is the faster speed limit: 45 mph. Some of the 55 miles is the medium speed limit: 35 mph. And a small portion of it is the slower speed limit: 25 mph. It's possible that it's 20 mph at the entrance stations; I don't remember. Does that make sense?

But please don't drive faster than the speed limit on any Park road at any time. And definitely watch for wildlife as well as people.

California
Level Contributor
717 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive time from Big Oak Flat to Tioga Pass?

I drove it going the opposite direction last month. It took me about two hours, maybe a little more - but I stopped a couple times.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive time from Big Oak Flat to Tioga Pass?

That was very clear PNWfamily. It is certainly helpful. You might otherwise look at the mileage and figure one hour. I plan to take a couple of hours--with a couple of stops.

Oh, and I meant you're, not your!

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,503 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive time from Big Oak Flat to Tioga Pass?

Here is a fun video someone made last June. It's Crane Flat to Tioga Pass entrance in 3.5 minutes. (Yes, it's a time-lapse compressed video; they did not really drive that fast.)

youtube.com/watch?v=gUxYjyEXxd0

8. Re: Drive time from Big Oak Flat to Tioga Pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park