We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter camping in Yosemite

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Winter camping in Yosemite

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if there is any good winter campgrounds just outside of Yosemite Park? We will be driving there in a camper van in early December and being from the tropical end of Australia, wouln't have a clue how to drive in icey conditions / use snow chains! Is there somewhere to stay where the shuttle could pick us up but we don't have to have snow chains to get to?

Thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,080 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter camping in Yosemite

The only road with bus transportation is Hwy 140. The bus is YARTS. Look at the KOA in Midpines.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter camping in Yosemite

Thank you!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter camping in Yosemite

Just emailed Koa in Midpines. It is only open from March 15- October :(

SoCal
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter camping in Yosemite

There is a year-round RV park, Indian Flats, in El Portal right next to the Cedar Lodge (which is one of the YARTS stops). The reviews aren't too good, but they mostly appear to be complaints of how small/close together the campsites are and how noisy it is. Crowds and noise and not enough showers most likely wouldn't be an issue in Dec. Plus, if it's really bad, I suppose you could escape to the lodge itself and abandon the RV park altogether.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter camping in Yosemite

Thank you! I'll check it out

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,080 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter camping in Yosemite

LalaClare

Indian Flat is fairly close to the Valley, but still at a low enough elevation that you're less likely to need chains. However, if the roads are clean and without any chain restrictions, it would be best to drive all the way to the Valley, set up your CamperVan at a campsite, and stay IN the Valley. You'd probably need to make two reservations - one for a Valley campsite and one for Indian Flat. Then if Hwy 140 is clear, just drive on in and cancel the Indian Flat reservation. If it's stormy, stay in Indian Flat & cancel the Valley one. You'd probably have to pay a cancellation fee of one night for either campground.

No hook ups in the Valley, and it will be colder at night. Are you familiar with winter camping in an RV / CamperVan?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter camping in Yosemite

Thank you, that's a good idea.

No we're not familiar with wimter camping in a camper van, and I'd much rather stay in a hotel.. but my boyfriend seems to think it's a great idea!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter camping in Yosemite

LalaClare, please please take the time - tell your boyfriend to - and research some information about winter camping.

It will be COLD. Freezing, literally.

What kind of campervan are you renting? Be sure it has a safe heating system in it and that you understand how to deal with the water lines in the cold weather. There are no hookups in Yosemite campgrounds. That means no electricity, as well as no water or sewer.

I've been RVing for nearly 20 years and I will tell your boyfriend that winter camping in a cold area is *not* a great idea. It takes planning and knowledge.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,080 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter camping in Yosemite

Thanks half-Brit. Your years of RV experience are definitely valued on this forum!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter camping in Yosemite

Thanks, I am definitely leaning towards parking it somewhere, getting a shuttle into the park and staying in a lodge somewhere near Badger Pass!

Thanks for your input everyone :)