We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campsite in exchange for Half Dome Permits (7/11-7/13)

Austin, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Campsite in exchange for Half Dome Permits (7/11-7/13)

My girlfriend and I have a campsite at North Pines from 7/11-7/13, and unfortunately did not receive any permits from the Half Dome Lottery. If anybody has extra space on their permit, we would be willing to share our campsite with you.

Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks!

Mark

msoskolne@hotmail.com

California
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Campsite in exchange for Half Dome Permits (7/11-7/13)

Mark,

It sounds as if you might be under the impression that a Half Dome Trail Permit allows a maximum number of people per permit (six people).

It is true that a Half Dome Trail Permit can accommodate up to six people HOWEVER the person obtaining the permit MUST SPECIFY the actual number of people on their permit at the time the trail permit is obtained via lottery. If the person specifies four people (for example), then the trail permit can accommodate ONLY four people -- not six people. If some people in their party cannot make the trip, that would be the only way that *space* would become available on a Half Dome Trail Permit.

Now, if you want to share your Yosemite campsite up to the maximum number of eight people, you can do that.

Edited: 14 April 2012, 15:46
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,803 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campsite in exchange for Half Dome Permits (7/11-7/13)

The maximum for Yosemite campsites is 6 people.

From the Half Dome page:

"Daily Lottery

Approximately 50 permits will be available each day by lottery during the hiking season. These permits will be available based on the estimated rate of under-use and cancellation of permits (the exact number may change through the summer). The daily lotteries will have an application period two days prior to the hiking date with a notification late that night. (So, to hike on Saturday, you would apply on Thursday and receive an email notification of results late on Thursday night. Results will also be available online, or by phone the next morning.) The application period will be from midnight to 1 pm Pacific time." nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm

California
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Campsite in exchange for Half Dome Permits (7/11-7/13)

Mark,

I stand corrected on the maximum number of people per Yosemite campsite. Yes, it is up to SIX people as pointed out by the previous poster.

They also gave you helpful information about the *daily lottery* for Half Dome Trail Permits.

Have fun!

Austin, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Campsite in exchange for Half Dome Permits (7/11-7/13)

Thanks for the posts! Just to clarify, I do understand that a permit holder is only allowed up to the number of people specified on the permit. However, I imagine since people had to apply 3-4 months out, their plans are not set in stone, and may have requested more people than are actually available to hike. It's worth a shot, since I'm assuming the 50 permit option will be just as impossible to obtain as the original.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,803 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Campsite in exchange for Half Dome Permits (7/11-7/13)

I guess it's worth asking, and I sure hope you created that e-mail address just for this use. (Unless you like spam ... putting your real e-mail address on the public forums is chancy.)

This TA article has links to lots of great Half Dome info. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d139183 Be sure to read the tips offered by MrHalfDome on his page. http://hikehalfdome.com

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campsite in exchange for Half Dome Permits (7/11-7/13)

There are many folks that do plan early and then their plans change. There was an informal "do you need a half dome permit" spot last yea, generally at the bridge. If at the last minute, you still don't have a permit, get to the base of the bridge early in the morning and "hang out." You might just get lucky!

Have a great time!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Campsite in exchange for Half Dome Permits (7/11-7/13)

It's easier in some ways to apply for the permits than to get in gear actually get up to the park. I'm a little surprised that they try to assign the 50 "daily permits" 2 days in advance, since the real test of whether someone is going to hike the Dome is if they are actually in place to do it on the day in question.

People do sometimes have extra spots available on their permits (so the bridge info is very helpful).

Mark, did you apply for a wilderness permit that could reasonably include Half Dome?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Campsite in exchange for Half Dome Permits (7/11-7/13)

Same day permits would be disastrous though. There is no way it would make sense to start that brutal hike after 9AM-10AM, and it would put an enormous strain on SAR personnel to have a wave of ignorant hikers trying to gain 4800 feet in the hottest part of the day.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Campsite in exchange for Half Dome Permits (7/11-7/13)

And on top of that lose lots of those 4800 feet in the dark.

Austin, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Campsite in exchange for Half Dome Permits (7/11-7/13)

I was under the impression that all the Wilderness Permits were sold out as well. Could be wrong?

Also, what "bridge" is everyone referring to? I have never been to Yosemite and have just started looking into logistics.

Thanks again for all the helpful responses!