We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half Dome hike, parking, shuttle bus question

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Half Dome hike, parking, shuttle bus question

Hi everyone,

My husband and I were lucky enough to get our first choice of date for a Half Dome permit for July 9 (yay!). I would like to be on the trail by 6am, we are both very fit and active but I want to have maximum daylight.

We are staying at Yosemite View Lodge and it was my original intention to park at the day parking lot and use the shuttle bus. However, in looking at the bus schedule online it appears it doesn't start running until 7am. I thought it was earlier in the summertime, but I must be mistaken. Can anyone confirm if 7am is the start time?

If that is the case, I have a second question for you all. I remember from our last trip that there was a car park on the other side of Curry Village (if I'm remembering correctly). Is this only for visitors staying in Curry Village or only those with a backcountry permit or is it possible to use this parking lot? I've looked on the nps.gov site for Yosemite and can't find this specific detail.

Thank you all in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Half Dome
Half Dome
1,293 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
4,198 Reviews
El Portal, CA
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Half Dome hike, parking, shuttle bus question

Oh crud!

I should have searched here first (not just nps.gov), I think this recent post actually answers my question: http://tinyurl.com/c5txbkd at reply #7 from MrHalfDome.

But the reply doesn't mention whether I need a permit for this parking area or need to make a booking or anything like that. If someone could let me know I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,210 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half Dome hike, parking, shuttle bus question

Hi AussieGirl

Congrat's on getting your first choice! Lots of folks didn't get anything ~ you're lucky.

My Reply #5 in that thread describes the hiker's parking lot. No need for a permit or anything.

------------------------

For future reference, the easiest way to link a TripAdvisor thread is just to cut & paste. All you really need is the part after the www. and before the words/title. So this thread's entire URL is

>http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k5334647-Half_Dome_hike_parking_shuttle_bus_question-Yosemite_National_Park_California.html<

but to make an easy hyperlink, just use this piece

>tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k5334647<

Here it is without the disabling > and < marks

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k53346…

Mentioned in this post
Half Dome
Half Dome
1,293 Reviews
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Half Dome hike, parking, shuttle bus question

Thanks PacificNW, that's just what I was hoping to hear.

I am getting very excited now, I decided we had to hike to the top of Half Dome when we were in Yosemite in 2009. I know July is still 3 months away but what's 3 months when you've already waited almost 3 years?

Edit: thank you also for the tip with the URL, I wondered how that worked.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 03:13
Mentioned in this post
Half Dome
Half Dome
1,293 Reviews
4. Re: Half Dome hike, parking, shuttle bus question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 16:17