We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valley To Glacier

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Valley To Glacier

I have a family of 6 and we were going to drive up early am from Wawona and hike the Panorama trail down from Glacier Point.

Will it be hard to get a ride from the valley floor back to Glacier in mid afternoon, early July? I am outgoing so don't mind asking and doing it that way saves roughly $140 in bus tickets.

Suggestions welcome

Is it possible to do the hike down and make it to the 1:30 pm bus?

Mentioned in this post
Wawona
Wawona
Yosemite National Park, CA
Panorama Trail
Panorama Trail
258 Reviews
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,028 Reviews
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valley To Glacier

Do you really expect to find someone to ferry a family of 6 back up, or just hitch a ride yourself to fetch the car? I have heard that it is possible to hitch a ride back down from Glacier Point (where everyone is congregated) but I'm not sure how you'd go about finding someone headed up to GP at the time you wanted.

It takes at least 4-5 hours to do the Panorama Trail if it is to be enjoyed at all. And at the bottom you'd have to catch a shuttle over to the Lodge (I think) to get the 1.30 bus up. Very dicey unless you made a VERY early start.

Mentioned in this post
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,028 Reviews
Panorama Trail
Panorama Trail
258 Reviews
Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valley To Glacier

just me to go pick up the SUV. If we leave Wawona by 7:30, leave Glacier no later than 8:30 am, that leaves us 4 hours to do the hike and an extra hour in case for me to catch the 1:30 bus so maybe it is doable.

do I need to buy the bus ticket in advance? It will be a weekday, last week in June.

Mentioned in this post
Wawona
Wawona
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,073 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valley To Glacier

Why not drop everyone off at GP and then drive yourself down to the Valley and catch the 10am bus back to GP. GP is not too bad a place to wait for an hour and a half and then you will have the whole afternoon to do the hike without rushing and worrying?

www.yosemitepark.com/glacier-point-tour.aspx

4. Re: Valley To Glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 16:15