We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite Valley to Monterey - a half way point?

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite Valley to Monterey - a half way point?

Hi we are a family of four from New Zealand planning a trip to California next year. We would like to drive from Yosemite Valley to Monterey then down the coast to Santa Barbara before flying home.

Our children will be 5 and 10 yrs and we are not sure of the drive time between Yosemite and Monterey (I have read anywhere from 5 to 8 hours). This would test the endurance of everyone.

Is there a half way point where we can stop for the night. Give the girls a break then continue our trip>

We are happy with drive time down the coast as we will be stopping for a number of nights with activities planned.

Thank you

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite Valley to Monterey - a half way point?

Chowchilla. Chuck...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite Valley to Monterey - a half way point?

If you leave Yosemite on Highway 140 it will be about 228 miles (365 km) from Yosemite Valley to Monterey. A driving time of 5 hours. I don't know why someone would say it takes 8 hours. Merced would be a possible place to stop for lunch.

If you don't want to drive 5 hours that day, you could go only as far as Gilroy, which would be just over 4 hours of driving time. You could possibly stop for lunch in Merced.

The reason for choosing Gilroy would be 2 things there that might interest some of your family. The Gilroy Gardens is a small, simple amusement park there, http://www.gilroygardens.org/ and the Gilroy Premium Outlets is an outlet mall, for those who would rather shop. www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp… Gilroy also has a garlic festival in late July.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite Valley to Monterey - a half way point?

The trip only takes 4.5 hours using Hwy 140.

nps.gov/yose/…mileages9-2007.pdf

I would just drive over to the coast myself, but if you want to stop about half way, Los Banos is a good choice. There are many low priced motels in the middle of town that could work. If you want to go a little further, a favorite place of my to stop is Casa de Fruita. They have a motel there also:

www.casadefruta.com/visit-accommodations.php

Chowchilla is out of the way, and so is Gilroy unless you have interest in the activities bw mentioned. The route I take is through San Juan Bautista. Just a few blocks off the highway is one of the best preserved early California missions. You can also see the San Andreas fault which is less than a mile from the mission.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_San_Juan_Bautista

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
151 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite Valley to Monterey - a half way point?

We did the same drive last September. We stayed in the Valley of Yosemite and started to head out around 4pm. We drove as far as Los Banos and stayed at the Economy Inn. I was shocked our room was beautiful and clean and very inexpensive. The next morning we had breakfast at Eddie's Cafe. It was one of the best breakfast my husband and I had ever had. Los Banos ended up being a unexpected jewel.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite Valley to Monterey - a half way point?

Hi, thank you everyone for your comments. We'll try and drive in one go but if there is too much noise from the backseat I now have a couple of places where we could stay put for the night.

The Gilroy gardens and amusement park look great. The perfect place to run around and stretch legs.

This is our first long haul trip with children so cross fingers. thanks again

6. Re: Yosemite Valley to Monterey - a half way point?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:41