We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial weekend traffic...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,208 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial weekend traffic...

I know you are still in the midst of it but can anyone give me a general picture of the Memorial weekend traffic?

I've been talking with marmot about my plans for a couple of weeks time and think I'll be fine. But it would be interesting if any new traffic management systems are in place this season which are either helping or hindering traffic flow.

Incidentally, I'm personally interested in the Hwy 120 route in and the eastbound Tioga Road.

Thank you.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial weekend traffic...

Outside of the traffic within the park, every year on Memorial day there is a big backup of traffic at the 120/108 intersection. At this point you pick up the long weekend traffic from the Sonora area + Yosemite traffic. It is also very slow in Oakdale at the signals in the town of Oakdale.

The traffic eastbound off Tioga Pass is not heavy, as the population in this area is not large.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,208 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial weekend traffic...

What about this weekend compared to previous Memorial weekends?

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial weekend traffic...

I think your question could be best answered by contacting directly the Supeinrtendent's Office at Yosemite National Park. Here is the link from the YNP web site:

Email us to ask a question or make a comment

Edited: 28 May 2012, 20:16
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial weekend traffic...

Apparently I was unsuccessful in providing the live e-mail link from the YNP web site. Maybe the following will work.

www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial weekend traffic...

I'm still gathering information but here's what I have...and I know this isn't hwy 120 specific but this fits with your post title, so here it is....

For the next couple of weeks there is a special use lane in effect for buses (YARTS for instance), trams, emergency vehicles on much of the one way road into the Valley. It's in test stages right now. I also noticed that in Mariposa, a variable message-ing sign was up telling people to expect 2 hour delays in the Yosemite, so at least people have a sense of what they are getting into. This is temporary and still under evaluation.

Also a traffic forecast has just come out and will hopefully be updated

www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/traffic.htm

Now to the nitty gritty. Valley Floor tours (trams) were running at 2 hrs and 15 min yesterday...this is a vast improvement over the 3 or more hours they tend to run on holiday weekends.

People were completely gridlocked it sounds like from Tunnel View downhill to Bridalveil Fall, but sounds like it freed up a bit after that. Note, a bit.

The special use lane is supposed to be in effect until 7pm. At 6pm when enforcement of the lane had decreased, it sounds like both lanes of traffic were packed. It took a friend an hour to drive from the beginning of the Valley to Curry Village. Believe it or not...I think this is slightly better than the 4th of July weekend last year, when it took friends 3 + hours to drive the whole Valley.

LDN you know this, but in case others don't, there was a 1 hour wait at Arch Rock at 9:30am on Sunday.

Will post more info as I hear more from others.

6. Re: Memorial weekend traffic...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:42
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park