We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fransico to Yosemite than to Monterey flying out of LA

East Brunswick, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
San Fransico to Yosemite than to Monterey flying out of LA

Hi,

I could really use some help! I am a recent widow and traveling without my husband for the first time. My children are 20/18/13 and we are going to be in Yosemite on his birthday the 29th of June! It was on his bucket lists and so we are doing it. ahhh I am not sure how to do Yosemite. We are landing in SF on the 26th, touring that area seeing Fisherermans Wharf, the cable cars, etc on the 27th, the 28th heading over the Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Woods and Sausilito, then off to Yosemite, (NO HOTEL YET) as we don't know where to stay my husband loved to white water raft so we are planning on doing that in Yosemite and bikiing....but don't know where or how. Then giving Yosemite two days we are planning on going to Monterey.... flying out of LA on the 4th of July. Any suggestions would be so helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,714 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fransico to Yosemite than to Monterey flying out of LA

You will need to work on reservations for Yosemite now. Read the top questions, and the destination experts for Yosemite will give suggestions for where to look for lodging. If one is available, a cabin in Foresta might work well for you and your family. But there are other possibilities.

Rafting is offered on the Merced River in Yosemite Valley at certain times, but it's not white water rafting. You rent an inflatable raft and float down a section of the river (I think about 3 miles) and then leave your raft at the end and they pick it up. White water rafting trips are offered by private companies on the Tuolumne River in the northern section of the park, but I do not know what the costs or requirements for that are. Outside the park, rafting is offered on the Merced River west of Yosemite and on the American River west of Lake Tahoe.

You may also want to consider a sea kayak trip, such as at Elkhorn Slough north of Monterey where you can see otters. Kayak trips are also offered in the Morro Bay area.

For your time along the coast, you may want to study this travelogue posted by another member of this forum, who took a trip along the coast last June. https://picasaweb.google.com/Mjneenan/Califo…

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,713 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
San Luis Obispo County, CA
ATLANTA
Level Contributor
860 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fransico to Yosemite than to Monterey flying out of LA

Two days in Yosemite isn't very long, especially if you're going to raft for the better part of a day. This is where we're staying in mid June. It's in west Yellowstone about 12 miles from the valley. You can also try El Portal (also in the west of Yosemite but it looks like they're booked.

http://www.cozy-bear.com/availability.php

Have fun,

Kent

Mentioned in this post
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,596 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fransico to Yosemite than to Monterey flying out of LA

Kent ~ too many conversations about the other National Park that starts with a "Y"

You're staying in Yosemite West, a private property community completely accessed from within the Park but legally over the boundary. West Yellowstone is a town in another state!

Diane W ~ peruse that info in the Top Questions and start hunting. A weekend in June? It's going to be tough!

Mentioned in this post
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,378 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Fransico to Yosemite than to Monterey flying out of LA

First... My condolences on the recent loss of your husband. I'm sorry that he wasn't able to fulfill his dreams of seeing Yosemite, etc. Hopefully this will be a cathartic trip for you and your kids. A chance to grieve, yet make memories you'll always treasure.

So, you have SF for 2 days, then Yosemite for 2 days. We need to set you up for the rest of your visit, though.

SF: June 27, 28

Yosemite: June 29, 30

Monterey: July 1, 2

Pismo Beach or Santa Barbara: July 3

July 4: LA, fly home

The reason I give you an extra night between Monterey and LA is because it is a long drive with a lot to see/do. It is meant to be taken slowly. Especially between Monterey and the San Simeon area. A straight shot down is close to an 8 hour drive WITHOUT stops, which would make the drive stressful and anxiety ridden. Besides, the drive through Big Sur can be VERY tiring with all the twists, turns, slow ups for road work, etc. that, once you're off that section, you'll be pretty tired by then and you would have another 5+ hour drive ahead of you to reach LA.

Here's a list of some of the sights worth a stop on the drive from Monterey:

Point Lobos State Reserve (Try to visit over your 2 night stay. It's just a few miles south of Carmel, so easy to access)

Bixby Bridge (Famous arch bridge used in many car ads)

Big Sur: Enjoy the redwoods at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park or visit Pfeiffer Beach. Have lunch at Nepenthe with its beautiful views of Big Sur coastline. www.nepenthebigsur.com

McWay Falls @ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (Famous waterfall that drops on to an inaccessible beach)

Ragged Point (Last section of elevated roadway before the highway descends to flatter ground)

Elephant seal rookery near the Piedras Blancas Lighthouse

Hearst Castle (If even for just a walk through of the Visitor's Center)

Cambria/Moonstone Beach Drive (Really quaint town in the pines with cute shops and a lovely shoreline)

Morro Bay/Rock

www.seemonterey.com

www.cambriachamber.org/

www.classiccalifornia.com

Hope this helps and that you have a memorable visit.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
San Simeon
San Simeon
Point Lobos
Point Lobos
4,041 Reviews
Carmel, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park
Pfeiffer Big Sur State...
638 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Pfeiffer Beach
Pfeiffer Beach
1,152 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Cambria
Cambria
Moonstone Beach
Moonstone Beach
1,455 Reviews
Cambria, CA
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
East Brunswick, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Fransico to Yosemite than to Monterey flying out of LA

Thank you so much! All of your answers were very helpful. I had no idea it was such a long drive from Monterey to LA!

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
East Brunswick, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San Fransico to Yosemite than to Monterey flying out of LA

I found a hotel phew I was getting nervous!! I hope this is OK? anyone know anything about it? Americas Best Value Inn Yosemite Westgate Lodge

We have decided to stay just one day there as that is all they had! So we will spend the day in Yosemite, biking the trails and then that evening drive to the Monterey area..... thank you for all your suggestions. I think we will be looking to relax for a day so any suggestions for a day at the beach would be helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,596 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Fransico to Yosemite than to Monterey flying out of LA

Hi again Diane

It looks like your lodging choice is in Buck Meadows between Groveland & the Big Oak Flat Entrance. It's a fine location, but I don't know anything about this particular property.

It's a 4 hr drive to Monterey from Yosemite Valley, so I think it's a good idea to stop maybe an hour (Mariposa) or two (Merced) on the way. Then you can maximize the time you spend in the Park. Another idea would be to continue to check for lodging cancellations and to snap it up. Or you could head out the South Entrance and stay in Oakhurst, then re-enter the next morning to see the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias. Then you could drive to Monterey in the afternoon.

The best place to ask for ideas about Monterey is on the Monterey forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32737-i159 Start a new question over there, and let them know if you're seeking a great coastline or a great beach. This forum is all about Yosemite.

Mentioned in this post
Groveland
Groveland
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,713 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Oakhurst
Oakhurst
California
8. Re: San Fransico to Yosemite than to Monterey flying out of LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 12:16