We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stop over driving from Carmel to Bridgeport

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stop over driving from Carmel to Bridgeport

In June my partner and I are driving from Carmel (leaving after lunch) and heading east towards Yosemite. We have a hotel booked at Bridgeport on the east side of Yosemite and plan to take route 120. Bridgeport is just a stopping point on the way back to Las Vegas.

From Carmel to Bridgeport is about 300 miles and 5 hours or so. We had planned to break that journey with an overnight stay somewhere along the way. Not sure whether to just keep driving and find a motel, or is there a good place to book in advance?

Any suggestions?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,891 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stop over driving from Carmel to Bridgeport

Bridgeport isn't exactly on the way. Most folks stay in Bishop or Lone Pine on a drive from Yosemite to Las Vegas. Hmmm. The route using Hwy 120 over the Sierra (Tioga Road) and in via Hwy 140 is closer to six hours nonstop driving.

For your night between Carmel and Bridgeport, and considering that you're posting in the Yosemite forum, I'll suggest .... Yosemite. Lodging options are described in the Top Questions in the upper right. Reservations will be essential.

Decide which few things you want to see in Yosemite, then try to find appropriate lodging. You won't have time for too much. Maybe ..

Day 1: check into Oakhurst motel, visit Mariposa Grove after 5:30 or 6 w/ picnic dinner.

Day 2: drive back into the Park and drive directly to the Valley, then enjoy Tioga Road in the late afternoon to Bridgeport.

or

Day 1: drive directly to the Valley and stay there (assuming you get lucky and find a cancellation)

Day 2 enjoy Tioga Road / Tuolumne Meadows

or

Day 1: leisurely drive to Mariposa, see none of Yosemite

Day 2: Valley for most of the day, then drive to Bridgeport

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stop over driving from Carmel to Bridgeport

Using Hwy 120 through Yosemite you will come to the intersection of Hwy 395/120. Heading to Las Vegas you would trun right - going south to Las Vegas, but you are heading to Bridgeport, so you will turn left - going north. I assume your overall travel route is using hwy 395 through Death Valley into Las Vegas? If so your stay in Bridgeport is about a 50 mile detour. I also assume you are staying in Brdigeport because you want to visit Bodie?

In addition to the above good advise, you might consider staying in El Portal, which is just outside the Yosemite Park entrance on Hwy 140. You will have the good part of the day to see some of the sites inside Yosemite before heading to Bridgeport.

If you have no desire to see Yosemite (not recommended), the logical way to drive from Carmel to Bridgeport would be to use Hwy 108 (Sonora Pass). You could stay overnight in Sonora, and head out in the morning to Bridgeport.

3. Re: Place to stop over driving from Carmel to Bridgeport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park