We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite National Park to Monterey

Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite National Park to Monterey

What is the best way to go? I have checked on Google directions and it has mapped out a course that takes about 5 hours. We are travelling in September this year so presumably road closures due to weather should not be a problem. As always advice gratefully received.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,264 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite National Park to Monterey

If you're leaving from the valley, take Highway 140 west to I-5 south to Highway 152 west to Highway 101 south to Highway 156 west to Highway 1 south.

You might want to use a Google maps to get an idea of the route beforehand.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
65,502 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite National Park to Monterey

When you use Google Maps for directions, be specific about *where* in Yosemite NP you will be starting your journey. If you're leaving from Yosemite Valley, Kibblesmom's directions are great!

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite National Park to Monterey

There is nothing wrong with the above route, but I prefer a little different way. Using Hwy 140 into Merced you can take Hwy 59 south that connects to Hwy 152 and going through Los Banos.

Without stops, you should be able to make the drive in about 4 hours.

Whatever way you decide to go, I have to agree that a map is a good idea. It does involve using several different highways.

4. Re: Yosemite National Park to Monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:17