We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude Sickness Question

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Altitude Sickness Question

We will be in Death Valley on Saturday (below sea level) and on Sunday will be in Lee Vining. Monday we will be on Tioga Road (10,000 ft). I'm sure many people come from Death Valley to Yosemite... Has anyone had any problems with altitude sickness doing this? Wish we had more time to adjust, but we only have Sunday which is our travel day. No MAJOR hikes planned- all under 2 miles, but still a bit concerned since I had some issues on a hike our first day in Grand Teton.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude Sickness Question

If you have experienced it before there is a chance you may have another incident.

Please consult with your regular physician.

Dr. Z

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude Sickness Question

We never had problems on that drive. Lee Vining is almost 7000' and its a long way between DV and Lee Vining. You already start climbing in DV itself on your way but if you had issues before it's good to pay attention to what the doctor in the previous post has said. Drink and bring lots of water.

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
592 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altitude Sickness Question

Some recent research seems to indicate that ibuprofen can alleviate or avoid altitude sickness in some folks. I'm no doctor, just repeating what I read. Google "ibuprofen altitude" or similar and read up, probably good to ask your doc about this.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,946 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altitude Sickness Question

You're making the transition over a period of 2 days so it will be a gradual change in elevation. Here are the approximate elevations of places you will be passing through or near, in feet relative to sea level:

Las Vegas: +2,001

Badwater, Death Valley: -282

Panamint Springs: +1,926

Lone Pine: +3,727

Independence: +3,925

Big Pine: +3,985

Bishop: +4,147

Tom's Place: +7,074

Crestview Rest Area: +7,545

Mammoth Lakes: +7,860

June Lake: +7,650

Mono Lake: +6,383

Lee Vining: +6,781

Tioga Pass: +9,943

Tuolumne Meadows: +8,619

Tenaya Lake: +8,150

Crane Flat: +6,200

Floor of Yosemite Valley: +4,000

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Altitude Sickness Question

Thank you for the geography lesson. It doesn't change the fact that the OP is predisposed to having symptoms associated with altitude sickness. For some, this can be a very dangerous issue.

The OP needs to consult with her MD, not Trip Advisor!

Dr. Z

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,946 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Altitude Sickness Question

That was a helpful contribution!

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Altitude Sickness Question

Thank you everyone... my symptoms weren't bad in Grand Teton. We had just flown in from NJ the prior day and tried to do a hike that was going uphill. Didn't make it real far- about 1/2 way. I just felt very out of shape- like I had been running instead of walking. When we got back on the boat, I was speaking with the boat driver and he asked how we made out and I told him I need to start going to a gym... The first question he asked was when we arrived in Wyoming. He told me not to worry about being out of shape that it was the altitude (around 8000 ft as I recall) that I was having a problem with. I will check with my doctor before going though...

Thanks BW for the altitudes. It should be a gradual ascent. I'm thinking now that I may have a tougher adjustment on the travel day than the next day because we'll be going from Death Valley directly to June Lakes in a matter of hours whereas from June Lakes to Tioga Rd is only a couple thousand feet over around 20 hours. At least in June Lakes, I'll just be sitting on my butt watching my hubby and kids fishing....

I can't do the ibuprofen thing...it's too much advil for me to be able to take, but it is a good suggestion...thanks.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,703 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Altitude Sickness Question

For myself, when I fly to a higher elevation, I always have a harder time than when I drive. I always drink extra water, avoid alcoholic beverages for a day or so, take an ibuprophin, and try to get a little extra sleep. Seems to do the trick pretty well.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Altitude Sickness Question

Hi BW -

Yes, it is a very helpful post especially for visitors to see the extreme differences in elevation.

I just wanted to stress to DisneyMom how health issues should be addressed to the proper people and I think she understands that.

Dr. Z

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Altitude Sickness Question

As an athlete I can tell you that being in shape does matter. The fitter you are the less oxygen you need for any activity & the better your body processes the oxygen available.