We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobility issues

Manitoba
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
mobility issues

Thinking of going to Yosemite National park however wondering if there is much a person who has limited mobility can do. not that she is in a wheel chair just can not walk far (is older) hiking might be out.

do you have to go far from your car to see the beautiful sights?

Which is a good place to stay to get to the sights,

Sonora, OakHurst, Maripos, Jamestown, Groverland? or another

Mentioned in this post
Sonora
Sonora
California
Oakhurst
Oakhurst
California
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,718 posts
6,183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobility issues

Its best to stay in Yosemite on the valley floor to see the sites. Sonora, Mariposa, and Jamestown are too far out. If you cannot find a place ihe park, try Yosemite West. If that is full, then and only then check Oakhurst or Groveland. You want to be in the valley floor if at all possible _ Camp Curry or Yosemite Lodge would work well.

A while back there was a good post on this same issue - you might want to read more about enjoying Yosemite with mobility issues. It sounds like she is a bit more mobile than the post but a lot of it will work for you too. There is a lot of great tips there about what areas are flat enough to enjoy and so forth. And if she has a disability parking plate (i.e. some due even if not in wheel chairs) there is good advise there too.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k45214…

Edited: 02 July 2012, 23:36
Mentioned in this post
Sonora
Sonora
California
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Oakhurst
Oakhurst
California
Groveland
Groveland
California
Yosemite Valley Lodge
Yosemite Valley Lodge
4,023 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
California
Level Contributor
94 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobility issues

A few years ago we took my husband's aunt, who was in her late 80s, to Yosemite. She had a bad knee at the time, so was limited in how much walking she could do. She had a wonderful time! We drove up 41, and stopped at the Mariposa Grove. She could not do the full walk, but enjoyed the first part of it (the trees are still magical!) Once we got to the valley, the walk to Yosemite Falls was just about the right length (we stayed at Yosemite Lodge) - the Falls are just across a road. Perhaps 1/2 mile walk, and a very beautiful one.

Plus, of course, the drive INTO the valley - so many beautiful places to pull over and see the surrounding cliffs, waterfalls... (This is once you are "at" the valley, but not yet to to the accommodations area.)

We took the tram around the valley floor, so she could get a sense of the size of it. And had a nice meal at the Mountain Room.

We just stayed one night - but she very much enjoyed the trip. It had been on her "want to see it" list for a long time.

Mentioned in this post
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls
2,028 Reviews
Yosemite Valley Lodge
Yosemite Valley Lodge
4,023 Reviews
Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobility issues

I've taken my Mom twice to the park in her wheelchair. What I learned I posted in the thread linked above, tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k45214…

Since then I have learned that at least one tram that does the Mariposa Grove tour can accept a wheelchair onto the tram. By now, maybe at least one tram that does the Yosemite Valley floor tour can. I've recently learned that the chapel in Yosemite Valley has a wheelchair lift on the side, but they will need to know that you need it so someone can be there.

You can see all the most famous views and sights without ever leaving pavement, so the park is very accessible to wheelchairs, in my opinion. The park recently updated their Accessibility Guide, which you can download at nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/access.pdf

And if you have questions about accessibility, you can send email to the people at the park who address those questions at http://tinyurl.com/8584uat

Edited: 03 July 2012, 01:24
Mentioned in this post
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Yosemite Valley Floor Tour
Yosemite Valley Floor...
439 Reviews
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,760 Reviews
Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobility issues

And if all of that doesn't help, we have a traveler article here that discusses mobility and visiting the park:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c156159/Yosemi…

It is a great park for people with limited mobility, as there are so many wonderful things to see and experience so close to your car. Enjoy your visit!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,218 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mobility issues

Travelers with Disabilities: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c156159

Lodging info is linked to the Top Questions in the upper right. Also read the Trip Reports from blueaerodynamique. She has visited twice with a less-abled family member.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mobility issues

El Portal is another town to check; it's the closest place to the valley after Yosemite West.

If a 1/4 mile walk is ok then you can see most of the popular sights at roads.

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: mobility issues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2013, 10:16