We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad are the mosquitoes?

Iowa
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How bad are the mosquitoes?

My family is going to spend next week hiking the High Sierra Camp loop and a couple of days in the valley. Does anybody know how bad the mosquitoes have been this year, especially in the high country? We've got head nets, but my hope is that we won't need to use them.

Mentioned in this post
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
469 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes?

I was there a few weeks ago and didn't see any at all. I'm a mozzie magnet so take that as a good sign!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,447 posts
6,165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes?

Due to our dry winter not much standing water this year (i.e. standing water is a huge mosquito attractor). However do bring DEET, etc. with you in case they do come out.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes?

We were in Yosemite at the end of June and had no issues with the little critters at all. We spent most of our time in the Valley, but did spend most of one day along the Tioga Road, plus took the bus up to Glacier Point and hiked back down to the Valley via the Panorama Trail. Did not see a squeetter that whole time during daylight hours. The only time we had any issue was at dusk one evening when we got chased inside. The bugs just were not an issue.

mini hit it on the head as to why the mosquitos are not bad this year.

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Road
Tioga Road
297 Reviews
Lee Vining, CA
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,023 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Panorama Trail
Panorama Trail
257 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Iowa
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes?

Thanks for the responses. We'll enjoy having fewer bugs, although I know low water comes at a huge cost to the environment.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes?

The term mozzie for mosquito is used here alot. Seems almost like a term of endearment which should not apply to those pesky critters. I don't know why but when I hear the word Mozzie my skin crawls. Too cute a word. Now squito or Skeeto is ok. Must just be me. ;)

I was in Tahoe this week and noticed no mosquitos when usually there are plenty in the morning and at dusk. No annoying buzzing near your ear. But it was so hot. Nearly 90 degrees there - almost never that hot.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes?

Glad to hear this too--I'm headed up in 10 days. I've only visited recently in late September, so I was worried. Will take "Skin so Soft" (first line of defense), Max Deet (desperation time) and garlic tablets (one can hope) anyway!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes?

I'll be there in 20. I'm hoping the heat dies really down though, as most of the hiking I'll be doing is above tree line. Don't have room in the bear can or really even the desire to use DEET, but I'll buy a headnet if it really seems to be a problem I guess.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes?

Suzie-travels, the term "mozzie" originated in Australia, and I assure you it is not the least bit affectionate. Some of us who are not Australian have taken up the term as it is easier than saying mosquito. I cannot say skeeter as I had a childhood friend by that name, and know others by distant acquaintance.

I'll just say that anyone who thinks the mosquitoes are bad in the Sierras has not lived in Alaska. I square they do not bother me any more as after living up north for years I have no blood left for them to take.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,141 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes?

Here is the High Sierra Topix forum thread about mosquitoes in the Sierra Nevada mountains: highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php…

I use "mozzie", and maybe it's from a trip I took to Europe many many years ago; there were some Aussies on that trip. The worst mozzies we experienced were in Finland. Wow! The bites can become huge welts on some folks.

SpursFan ~ take a cheap Coleman headnet that fits over your hat. Weighs almost nothing and can save your sanity if you get into a bad area.

Edited: 13 July 2012, 05:28
Mentioned in this post
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
469 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Sierra Nevada
Sierra Nevada
7 Reviews
California
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How bad are the mosquitoes?

What's wrong with just saying mosquitos? That extra syllable really wear ya out? ;)

Husband was hiking in Desolation Wilderness out of Mammoth & Bishop and reports very little mosquito activity. Hope you enjoy your visit without being bothered by them.

Mentioned in this post
Bishop
Bishop
California