We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange Question

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Staffs UK
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Strange Question

When planning our trip I see a lot of pictures of people standing on a huge flat rock formation overlooking a valley could someone tell me what that is ?

And this is the strange part it does not look safe! I know that sounds silly but I have a fear of heights and want to skip anywhere that looks to high as I know that if we went that way my boys would want to take a look I would have a nervous meltdown!!

thanks for any help

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strange Question

Are you thinking of the place with a tiny iron railing? That would be Taft Point and I wouldn't go out there either! You might also be thinking of Half Dome, which is a very popular strenuous hike (but you have to have a permit).

The most famous part of Yosemite is the Valley where the waterfalls are and the iconic views of Half Dome and El Capitan. But there are a lot of places where you can look straight down on the valley and you COULD fall. But really, nobody ever does because you just have to use common sense. I'm nervous about heights too but on a recent trip I did several "domes" or "points" which I COULD have fallen off, but I didn't. I just stayed well away from any edges.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,932 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strange Question

Can you include a link to one of the photos you've seen? That would help us to identify it.

There are some places with grand views where it seems unsafe, but really it isn't. I don't care for heights either, but it's possible to enjoy them while still being safe AND keeping your kids safe.

Taft Point: tripadvisor.com/…18346519

Glacier Point: tripadvisor.com/…44944830

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strange Question

PNWF--I don't blame the OP if the photo she's thinking of its anything like your photo of Taft Point! Eek! In a way it really is amazing that they haven't put up giant glass safety walls, at least. Refreshing, on the other hand, that we're trusted not to be stupid!

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
639 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strange Question

>>You might also be thinking of Half Dome<<

My guess is that she is thinking of the Half Dome visor.

Is this the place?

…flickr.com/3219/2907493972_1a075e71c9.jpg

…blogspot.com/_A1aoU_DHlZ8/…IMG_0218.JPG

…smugmug.com/Landscapes/Various-Yosemite-Pho…

If so then that's the top of Half Dome.

5. Re: Strange Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 23:17