We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions

Dubuque IA
Level Contributor
175 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Questions

My wife & I just decided to visit Yosemite & leaving this Sept 1 driving across I 80 1900 miles towards the park. Computer searches route us off of I 80 at West Wendover south & west on 93 & 6 for about 400 miles to the park. Appears to me we should get off I-80 @ HWY 95 to 359 to 167 & enter Tioga pass. Would this be better?

Accomidations-looks much tougher than Yellowstone, Glacier and our tour of Utah. Most motels seem to be 40 or more miles out of the park. We should try to book something in advance but don't yet have an arrival date. So we are going to read & research and looking for any and all input. Plan to spend 4-5 days in the park. Thank you in advance

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions

Good luck! I hope you are not arriving Labor Day weekend.

At that time of year consider staying 2/3 nights on the eastern side of the park--Lee Vining, June Lake, or even Mammoth Lakes. (Closest to farthest.) From any of these places its a scenic 30/60 minute drive to the eastern entrance of the park. The Tioga Pass and Tuolomne Meadows area will offer great walking and hiking (of all levels of difficulty) with fabulous lakes and views, while the Valley waterfalls will be nonexistent to feeble. As for the Valley, keep checking the National Park website and also look at the lodging tips.

You might also try telephoning the Tioga Pass Resort, which is just outside the park boundaries. When I was in the park in July they had the vacancy sign up, unlikely as that sounds.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,521 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions

For help planning the overall road trip, I would start a new thread in the Road Trips forum here: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

I looked at an atlas to figure out the route you described and I don't see the point of it. Depending on where you exit Utah, I would just stay on Interstate 80 or Interstate 50 all the way to U.S Highway 395, then take that to California Highway 120 west into Yosemite. Or, if you are leaving Utah at the southwest corner (St. George), Interstate 15 through Las Vegas then on through Death Valley to U.S. Highway 395 north, then CA Highway 120 west to Yosemite.

Highway 395 is a scenic drive with many interesting sights and stops. For a travelogue that illustrates many of the sights in that area, see travelswithbillandnancy.com/eastern_sierras.…

You can use this thread for planning your time in Yosemite, including help locating the lodging you need and for planning out your time in the park. The destination experts for Yosemite can help you with both of those. In the meantime read the Top Questions at right, particularly the first one. With 4 to 5 days in the park you can certainly see a lot of it.

Note that this year had unusually low snowfall, and as a result the famous waterfalls of Yosemite are at a very low flow and some are totally dry already. The biggest of them all, Yosemite Falls, has already run dry for the year; see yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams/yosemite-fal… for the current state of it. It will likely be just a dry wall when you are there unless you are really lucky and there is a rainstorm the day before you are there.

The park is still very beautiful without the waterfalls, but it won't look like it does in most photos you see which show the waterfalls in the springtime when they are torrents. However September is a good time to visit the high-elevation areas of the park.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,920 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions

Suggestions for lodgings are all listed in the Top Questions in the upper right. Perhaps one of the private property options located within the Park gates would suit you.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions

US93/6 is a nicer route and probably faster than I-80 since it's more direct. There's also a heck of a lot less traffic. I-80 will have more lodging options however.

Dubuque IA
Level Contributor
175 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions

Thank you everyone for your input. Very helpful.

6. Re: Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park