We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help :-)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help :-)

Hello! I was hoping to get some feedback about the itinerary I put together for my boyfriend and I Sept 2-4. We will be staying 2 nights in Curry Village. We love to be active and are in good shape. We ran a marathon several months ago and are currently in training for a half marathon. We will be flying into Fresno to get to Yosemite and when we leave Yosemite on Tuesday we will be driving to Sonoma.

Sunday:

Fly into Fresno; Arrive 2PM

3-430 Drive to Yosemite

430-530 Mariposa Lower Grove

Head to Curry Village and stop by Tunnel view, Bridalveil Falls and maybe Vernall Falls Footbridge.

*Any suggestions on what to else to do around the Valley or where to have dinner?*

Monday:

7-12 Hike Mist trial to Nevada Falls

1-3 Lunch/break

4-7 Hike Sentinel Dome and Taft Point

7-730 Glacier pt for sunset

*Any dinner suggestions?*

Tuesday:

9-12 Lembert Dome

12-1 Lunch

1-3 Tuolumne Meadows

3-3:30 Olmstead Point

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help :-)

We just returned from the area about 3 weeks ago. The hike to the Vernal Falls footbridge is part of the mist trail, so include this on Monday.

Sunday seems a bit rushed. I can't comment on your time allotment for Mariposa as we skipped it since we had toured Sequoia. For your 1st day, I'd focus on seeing Bridalveil (not much water at all) and Tunnel View. Maybe you could walk around the Ahwahnee. We tried the dinner buffet at Curry Village and really thought it was pretty lousy, so I would avoid there at least for dinner.

You are going to love the Yosemite high country on Tuesday.

I'm sure others with more experience will respond, but I figured I'd make a few comments since our visit was pretty recent. Have a great trip.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,192 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help :-)

On Sunday of Labor Day Weekend, I'd guess that Mariposa Grove is going to be busy later than usual. If you can drive to the tiny Mariposa Grove parking lot from the South Entrance, go for it. It's possible that the gate will be closed since the lot is full. Either ask the gate attendant if you can wait to drive in (I don't know if this will work) or take the shuttle from the South Entrance or from Wawona (a few miles down the road.)

It's about an hour to drive to the Valley from Mariposa Grove. Stopping at Tunnel View and then Bridalveil Fall is fine.

Dining ideas in the Yosemite Guide newspaper: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/yg12-6.pdf Check the hours!

It's about a mile from Curry Village to the trailhead for the Mist Trail, but shuttles probably won't yet be running. So walk over. Probably come down the John Muir Trail. Walk back to Curry Village or ride the shuttle around in a loop to get back.

It's about an hour to get to the Sentinel Dome trailhead, but the traffic from Curry Village to the exit from the Valley could take an hour itself. Holidays are busy. The loop hike is about 4.5 miles.

By the time you get down from Glacier Point, it may be close to 9pm. Again, check the hours that the restaurants are open.

--------

You might want to pick up some groceries at Vons or Raleys in Oakhurst on your way up to the Park. Your early mornings & late evenings might miss the restaurant or buffet dining hours.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help :-)

I definately recommend the Mist Trail to Nevada Falls and return via the John Muir Trail. If there's good weather (likely) you will be treated with beautiful views to the back of Half Dome, the Valley and more... Wonderful hike! Your Sunday does seem rushed, I'm not sure you've fully accounted for drive times between Mariposa, and Yosemite Valley. You should add in some extra time for driving and crowds since that is the Sunday of Labor Day... stick to two things on Sunday, maybe Mariposa and drive into the Valley, taking in Tunnel View and Bridalveil on your way to Curry Village.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 06:37
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,192 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help :-)

Note: do not put Mariposa into your GPS or follow signs to Mariposa. This is a regular town and the county seat for Mariposa County. And Mariposa is many miles from Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias inside Yosemite National Park. (I sure wish folks had been more creative when naming places in California. There is Lake Yosemite in Merced, Merced River in Yosemite, Merced Lake in San Francisco; Tuolumne Grove, Tuolumne Meadows, and Tuolumne River; Sentinel Dome and Sentinel Rock; and more!)

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,510 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help :-)

Definitely stop at Tenaya Lake--I'm sure you would anyway, once you spotted it! I would also recommend (I always do) Pothole Dome on the far side of the meadow west of Lembert Dome. In my opinion the views are actually better than from Lembert Dome (which you can see from Pothole) , and you get a small river cascade and the meadow thrown in for free! Its short and easy. If you do Lembert Dome you might consider looping out to Dog Lake if time permits, although it isn't the prettiest of the lakes.

I also agree that there are some stunning views back from the JMT as you descend from Nevada Falls, plus it is easier on the knees.

6. Re: Itinerary Help :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 06:15