We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF to Yosemite in 11 Dec need help

SG
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
SF to Yosemite in 11 Dec need help

Hi,

I intend to drive from SF to Yosemite NP on the 11 Dec for a overnight stay before driving towards Monterey on the next day.

I have a few concerns as it is my first time driving in winter.

Is there a high possiblity of snow or ice on road during that time of the year? If so, I may consider a day trip with a tour group from SF

instead.

What are the activities I can do for 1 day stay in Yosemite and which hotel do you recommend?

What is the distance and how long is the journey from Ysemite to Monetrey? I would like to know to plan what time to start my road trip.

Thank you.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF to Yosemite in 11 Dec need help

in December, yes you may find bad weather.

You can look up distances yourself on Google maps. Link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF to Yosemite in 11 Dec need help

If you are not on a smartphone or tablet, you should be able to read the top questions including the one -- do I need tire chains to visit in Winter.

www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/winter.htm has info about the park in Winter and if you look at a few forum posts before and after your post you will see there are other questions just like yours.

Options to see Yosemite by tours from SF include Incredible Adventures or Extranomical among others. I would suggest an overnight instead of a 8 to 9 drive for a day trip.

It is about 4 or so hours to Monterey from Yosemite if you chose to drive there. Or you could do a Yosemite tour and stay the night in SF and drive the next day to Monterey

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF to Yosemite in 11 Dec need help

You won't know road conditions until that day, or at least shortly before, You could go to Yosemite on your own, via Amtrak (you'd book the YARTS bus from Merced to Yosemite at the same time) or Greyhound. (you'd have to book the YARTS bus separately but I underst and there are no reservations). You could also plan on driving but, if you learn road conditons are bad, drive just as far as Merced or Mariposa, and take the YARTS bus from there. Of course, if a storm is so bad that the road is closed due to snow or ice, no one will get there. Lowest road is the one from Merced.

Edited: 07 October 2012, 18:58
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,597 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF to Yosemite in 11 Dec need help

Here is the mileage chart from Yosemite Valley: nps.gov/yose/…mileages9-2007.pdf

SG
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SF to Yosemite in 11 Dec need help

Thank you for the reply. I may just give Yosemite a miss in this trip since the weather and road condition is not what i am familiar with and the time i have is only a day stay if i were to go for it.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 03:27
6. Re: SF to Yosemite in 11 Dec need help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 19:18