We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Sierra Camp Lottery

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
High Sierra Camp Lottery

I am just curious if anyone has a sense whether applications for the lottery are up or down this year. Hoping to finally succeed in getting a spot on the first try. .Seems like the economy is affecting travel plans to some extent (we found some nice deals on skiing), but maybe not this.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,358 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Sierra Camp Lottery

Every year I cross my fingers for you and wish you good luck. I sure hope you 'win' this year!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,648 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Sierra Camp Lottery

I don't know any specifics about the High Sierra Camp lottery, but just from talking to folks about various permits hikes/camps in other parks it seems that the demand is still high.

Good luck with your application!

Salem, Oregon
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: High Sierra Camp Lottery

Did you ever get notification of the lottery results? It is Jan. 15 and I still haven't heard.

raleigh
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High Sierra Camp Lottery

I was wondering the same thing as bdn. Been checking my email for 24 hours with no word. Anyone know if they contact all applicants or just lottery winners?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,358 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High Sierra Camp Lottery

Here is info from Enzian's Jan 2012 thread.

" haven't heard either but haven't given up hope yet. In the past, we did not get anything on the "first round" but we did on the second one, in February.

Also, I believe they fill all the guided hike requests first, then turn to the requests for independent hikes"

"OK, I just checked my email and learned I got a rejection notice yesterday. If you have not received the email by now, there may be good news for you in the snail mail.

And if not, as I said above, they often award space you requested in the second round. Lots of people who win the first round decide not to go after all. Reality strikes when they realize they have to pay the whole amount up front to confirm the reservation."

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k50664… (Please do not bump that thread up. It's old, but it still has good info to read.)

Louisburg
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: High Sierra Camp Lottery

I just received an email from National Park Service employee saying there has been a delay and that we should hear from DNC Parks & Resorts at Yosemite shortly. (no definition of what shortly means)

That is all the information he could give.

Simi Valley...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High Sierra Camp Lottery

Do you receive an email either way? I've heard nothing.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High Sierra Camp Lottery

I never did receive an email last year ... I eventually got in touch with them and they said we didn't get in which I had guessed by no email. We didn't get anything in the second round either. I will say that after that they were terrific about helping us book via a cancellation so we got to go and we had a great time.

Simi Valley...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High Sierra Camp Lottery

Thanks for the response...I'm just going ahead and booking my alternate vacation...lol

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High Sierra Camp Lottery

They only contect you if you "won." The second round should be over now as well. We still have heard nothing so we got nothing. They were supposed to put anything left over after the lottery on the website today, but I haven't checked.