We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco Itinerary

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
San Francisco Itinerary

I am travelling from Australia on 18 December with a friend to see her son and family in Los Angeles for Christmas. After Christmas she and I are flying to San Francisco for 5 days, arriving the afternoon of 27 December. I'd like to see Yosemite Park and she'd like to see Nappa Valley. Since there are no tours operating on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day, we thought the best thing would be to:

27 December - arrive San Francisco - look around.

28 th December - Do the Nappa Valley Tour.

29th December - sightseeing - Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square, cable car etc.

30th December - Yosemite Day Tour. The only thing I'm worried about is - is it worth it at that time of the year, i.e. winter?

buysanfranciscotours.com/tours/yosemite_park…

Is the one we're thinking of doing. We don't want to go hiking - we're both ladies in our sixties!! But just to see the sights of Yosemite Park.

31 December - Sightseeing

1 January - Sightseeing

2 January - fly back to Los Angeles.

I'm wondering whether we should do the Muir Woods and Sausalito Tour on 30th Dec instead of Yosemite. Will the weather in San Francisco be very wet?

I've heard Yosemite might be covered in snow at that time of year, pretty, but is it worth the very long day since my friend is a bit frail?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,795 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco Itinerary

Hi FED00

First, this is the Yosemite forum. So I'll just comment about the idea of visiting Yosemite. The absolutely best place to learn more about San Francisco and perhaps day visits to Napa Valley and/or Muir Woods is on the San Francisco forum. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60713-i30-San_Fra… I suggest you repost on that forum to get feedback for the SF portion of your trip.

Now, on to Yosemite.

I think the tour you're considering is from a re-seller. It sounds exactly like the one offered by Incredible Adventures for $10 less per person. So if you want that tour, book directly with the tour vendor. incadventures.com/trips/…Details

Is Yosemite 'worth it' in winter? Most definitely yes! You might get lucky and experience a snowfall, or it might just be a quiet winter day. But it would probably be lovely. I doubt that Yosemite NP will be covered with snow, but hopefully there will be some snow in Yosemite Valley.

I suggest you read the Winter Trip Reports linked to the Top Questions in the upper right. You'll see that other folks really enjoy Yosemite Valley in winter.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco Itinerary

Many thanks for replying so promptly. I shall re-post in the Yosemite Forum as you suggest.

3. Re: San Francisco Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park