We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at one place in Yosemite a bad idea?

West Milford, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at one place in Yosemite a bad idea?

Staying at the the lodge at Yosemite falls in the summer of 2013, I was recently reading that it may be a better idea to stay two different places since the park is so vast.

Can we not see a good amount of the park staying there for one week? Or should we consider splitting it up the week? Where else would be a good choice? and in what order? We are flying in and out of Fresno.

Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,543 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at one place in Yosemite a bad idea?

Hi songbird1958

We'd be happy to discuss lodging & itinerary decisions over on the Yosemite NP forum. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315 When you get there, be sure to read the summer Trip Reports (especially NolaTrekker's report), the lodging info, and other relevant pieces of info in the Top Questions (upper right.) Then repost your question with details about your travel group & travel style.

This forum is all about discussing suggestions to improve the TA website. If you want, you can delete your post by clicking Report Inappropriate Content and then Remove My Post.

Mentioned in this post
West Milford, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at one place in Yosemite a bad idea?

Wow, that's like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Let me rephrase my question...what itinerary would be good for a one week stay at Yosemite Falls Lodge AND should we stay there the entire week? We are both in our 50's, in fairly good shape and are active people.

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls
1,998 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,543 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at one place in Yosemite a bad idea?

I'm sorry. I wasn't clear in my first reply.

This is the wrong forum.

The correct forum for your question is this one: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315 I happen to know lots about Yosemite AND I read this forum. But there are many more folks on the Yosemite forum who won't see your excellent question here. I want you to have the benefit of many replies, rather than just mine.

If I reply to your Yosemite question here, that means that no one else who is planning a week long visit will benefit from my detailed reply (which I'm composing in my head!) since they'll only be reading the Yosemite forum.

Does that make more sense?

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
63,985 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at one place in Yosemite a bad idea?

songbird ~

TA has become a little more confusing since they made significant changes to the design of the forum about last May. I have noticed that many posters whose last post was in 2011 and correctly on a Destination Forum are now posting incorrectly on either Help Us Make Trip Advisor Better (HUMTAB) or the Support Forum. You happen to be one of those posters.

This Forum is for making suggestions for how to improve the website. Some of the brilliant, clever, insightful, common sensical, almost pleading suggestions by regulars on this forum have included making a link to the Destination Forums clearly visible in the green navigation bar at the top of the page. Alas, to no avail. The mystery remains as to how posters come on to HUMTAB or Support by mistake to ask destination questions. None will share their secret pathway with us. :-( But knowing more about that would perhaps lead to helping many get to the correct forum first time.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at one place in Yosemite a bad idea?

I can't speak for the OP, but if you go to the Help Center and click on forums you'll see:

Travel Forum

Support Forum

HUMTAB Forum

Owner's Forum

Now, many of us supported/or made this suggestion. I think each of them needs a bubble which states its purpose and Travel Forum needs to say something like..Do you have a question for a certain destination?

That's what I suspect. Sorry, songbird1958, for adding this on to your thread.

L4

Edited: 18 November 2012, 01:46
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at one place in Yosemite a bad idea?

Hi songbird1958,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your questions in the HUMTAB forums, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Yosemite National Park forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Mentioned in this post
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,543 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at one place in Yosemite a bad idea?

Thanks TA_Jane. I got really confused when I saw the thread here.

On to the topic!

If you're coming in the summer AND you're fit AND you like to hike, then I think you'll want to spend 2 or 3 days exploring the Tuolumne Meadows area. It's about 1.5 hours to drive from Yosemite Lodge at the Falls, so you'll have to decide if that's okay with you. The only 'lodging' in Tuolumne Meadows is the 'TM Lodge' which is really just tent cabins. Another option is to stay outside the Tioga Pass Entrance, but then you're driving in.

Yosemite Valley will be crowded in the summer. But that's where you'll find most of the dining options. If you want someone else to cook food for you and you want variety, then Yosemite Lodge at the Falls is a good choice. Some people might prefer to rent a cabin and prepare their own meals, but that isn't the 'best' choice for everyone.

Assuming that you can find the Trip Reports and Itineraries now (Thanks again TA_Jane for moving the thread!), you have some more ideas about what other folks have done during their visit. Here are some specific ideas ...

Panorama Trail ~ pay $25 pp for the 1st bus of the day to Glacier Point and walk all the way down

Taft Point - Pohono Trail - Sentinel Dome ~ drive yourself up the Glacier Point Road and take this 4+ mile loop hike. You could also spend some of the day hiking down a piece of the Panorama Trail and then back up, if you don't want to do the whole Panorama Trail.

Mariposa Grove ~ get there early early in the morning and hike/walk to Wawona Point. Trams start running at 9 am, so you need to be there early to get a parking place and to avoid running into crowds of people taking a break from their tram / tour.

• Wawona ~ swim in the South Fork of the Merced River, hike 8+ miles to Upper Chilnualna Fall, stroll around Meadow Loop Road

In Yosemite Valley

Valley Floor Loop Trail ~ take any part of it, on foot or on a bike

• Most Popular Valley hike: Mist Trail to Vernal Fall on to Nevada Fall and down the John Muir Trail (most folks just do the Mist Trail)

• Upper Yosemite Fall ~ best when the waterfall still has lots of water

Tuolumne Meadows ideas

• May Lake & Mt Hoffman

• Cloud's Rest (huge day hike)

• Pothole Dome or Lembert Dome

• Gaylor Lakes ~ one way back down to Tuolumne Meadows or up to more lakes

• Lyell Fork ~ hike, swim, relax

• Ten Lakes Trail ~ just to the saddle for views of both drainages

• Glen Aulin & Waterwheel

Mentioned in this post
Tuolumne Meadows
Tuolumne Meadows
483 Reviews
Yosemite Valley Lodge
Yosemite Valley Lodge
4,000 Reviews
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
995 Reviews
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,712 Reviews
Panorama Trail
Panorama Trail
256 Reviews
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
3,999 Reviews
Taft Point
Taft Point
270 Reviews
Sentinel Dome
Sentinel Dome
640 Reviews
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Wawona
Wawona
Yosemite Valley Floor Tour
Yosemite Valley Floor...
436 Reviews
Mist Trail
Mist Trail
837 Reviews
Vernal Fall
Vernal Fall
1,222 Reviews
Lembert Dome
Lembert Dome
131 Reviews
West Milford, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at one place in Yosemite a bad idea?

Thank you so much! This is what I wanted, activities suggestions.

So you are saying it's o.k. to stay the entire week at Yosemite Falls Lodge and still get to see the important parts of the park?

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls
1,998 Reviews
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at one place in Yosemite a bad idea?

What part of summer are you coming? If July or later, then I would stay somewhere like Lee Vining for at least half the time to be near some of the top hiking areas, and also to sleep a little higher so that the hiking is easier (Lee Vining is about 7000 feet while Yosemite Valley is 4000). Of course, this is assuming you're there to hike a bit.

Panorama is probably my favorite hike starting or ending in the valley. In the high country there's tons of amazing stuff, with Clouds Rest my personal favorite (though it's 14 miles roundtrip and mostly 9000 feet and above). If you hike above 9500 feet you have a chance to see pikas, which in the top 2 or 3 for cutest animals I have ever seen (ran into one on the Mono Pass trail this summer; youtube 'damn cute pika' if you havent heard of them).

Edited: 19 November 2012, 09:48
Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,712 Reviews
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,543 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at one place in Yosemite a bad idea?

Hi again songbird1958

Until TA_Jane moved your thread the right place, I wasn't giving specific ideas. IMO, that is not a good use of my time or TripAdvisor forum space. But now that we're here on the Yosemite forum, others can read my ideas and expand on them or offer their own. If I gave you ideas on the HelpUsMakeTripAdvisorBetter! forum, spurs f would not have seen my ideas and he definitely wouldn't have seen your questions!

Yes, it's okay to stay the entire week in the Lodge. I wouldn't do it, but you can.

Here is the mileage chart from the Yosemite Valley Visitor Center, just a few minutes from the Lodge: nps.gov/yose/…mileages9-2007.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,712 Reviews