We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Yosemite

3 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Yosemite

Hi all,

As part of our honeymoon, my fiancée and I are planning to spend three-four nights in Yosemite NP.

We will be flying to San Francisco from Las Vegas and driving in. Afterward we'll be moving on after to Napa valley for three nights before returning to SF for four nights.

We're hoping to see the sights, but also want to take it easy and relax for some of our stay.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably central place to stay, that isn't any more than about four hours from SF by car?

Level Contributor
2,615 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Yosemite

Yosemite Valley itself is only about 4.5 hours from San Francisco. There are a number of accommodation options both inside and outside with park. Have a look at the top questions on the right-hand-side of the screen, the first (the top question, in fact) one is "Where do we stay - Inside the park or outside the park?". It should give you a place to start planning at least.

Our previous two visits, my husband and I have stayed in El Portal, but we have decided to stay in the valley proper next time. When are you planning to do this and do you have an idea yet of what you would like to see in YNP? That could affect your choices depending on whether the roads are open etc.

Edit: just say on another post that you are planning this for August, so the roads will all be open, but you will want to get onto accommodation ASAP.

Edited: 13 January 2013, 20:56
Yosemite / Sierra...
Level Contributor
560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Yosemite

You know...if you want to get away from the crowds and relax during the evening hours and maybe even have dinner by candlelight, you might think about booking a vacation home through www.VRBO.com. I have had much success using this site for vacation homes all over California - just booked one yesterday on the coast. Depending on what time of year, you might check out homes in Mariposa and use HWY 140 into the Park, the all-weather route. Or maybe Fish Camp, although that might be further from Yosemite Valley, but close to the big trees. I personally have not had much success with homes in Yosemite West (not that private and mostly condos and not my thing) but that might be another option.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your visit!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
65,502 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Yosemite

Foresta (private property community) might work for a honeymoon visit. I think both Mariposa & Oakhurst/Fish Camp are too far for an August visit. You really need to be inside the Park gates to avoid those long lines.

Level Contributor
323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Yosemite

When I went to Yosemite. I did not book a year in advance so I found that many accommodations were already full or you had to pay an exorbitant amount for a shared bathroom hotel.

Instead of staying in the park, we stayed at the Blackberry Inn B&B in their honeymoon suite. It has a private entrance so you don't get that creepy "we are staying in someone's house" feel that you get with some other B&B's. It had a king bed, jetted tub and a very romantic atmosphere. As someone who stays >60 stays in hotels a year, I highly recommend the Blackberry Inn for romance and modern consciences.

Other Groveland hotels did seem charming, but that hotel was something special.

Edited: 14 January 2013, 14:03
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Yosemite

A side note to the hotels, I recommend getting up early at least one morning and driving up to the lookoff for Half Dome. We watched the moon set, as the sun was rising and it was just an epic site to witness!

6. Re: Honeymoon in Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 06:18
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question