We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite RV Camping

Lisbon
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite RV Camping

Hi,

We are going to travel with our sons (6 and 9 Years) in June and we would like to know what are the best campgrounds to stay. We were thinking Wawona but maybe its too far? is there a bus nearby to take us to the Valley? or are there parks along the road were we can leave the RV and pick a bus from there?

Thanks

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite RV Camping

Are you familiar with the reservation process? booking on Feb. 15 for stays beginning June 15? Just want to be sure you are aware.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,920 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite RV Camping

Definitely plan for the reservation day- /It is frantic.

You can stay in Mid pines and take YARTs but that is a long ride with kids.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite RV Camping

There are only a few campgrounds in Yosemite valley itself. None have any hookups. You MUST book months ahead.

There are some privately owned RV parks outside the park boundary. Most are about one hour away or more. There is a privately owned KOA in Midpines and you can ride the YARTS bus in to the valley from there - it's about an hour ride I believe - but you won't have to drive the motorhome.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/yosemite-west/

Book *early* for any campground or RV park around Yosemite.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite RV Camping

You might consider this rv park:

http://www.indianflatrvpark.com/

It's 30 ish minutes from Yosemite Valley...so closer than Wawona...and closer than Midpines (which can be a great option).

It's possible the bus from the Wawona Hotel may be running at that point, but I would call the Wawona Hotel itself to double check that before your arrival. That phone number is 209-375-6556 (they are closed right now...will reopen in April). Usually though, that shuttle (runs once in the morning to the valley, and once back to Wawona in the afternoon) starts when the Mariposa Grove shuttle starts...and by early June that should be happening. I can't remember if the shuttle picks up from the hotel or the store...but either way it's just a quick car ride from the campground to those areas.

And as mentioned above, if you're trying for anything...anything in the park, get very very familiar with recreation.gov, set up a profile, get used to how it works now because all campgrounds will be gone within 5 minutes of opening reservation time February 15th.

Good luck!

Lisbon
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite RV Camping

Thank you all...

London, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite RV Camping

Yosemite is now full for the June booking period (i.e. you booked on Feb 15th) - all central sites were gone within the first 8 minutes and every site was gone within the first 15 minutes

London, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite RV Camping

Yosemite is now full for the June booking period (i.e. you booked on Feb 15th) - all central sites were gone within the first 8 minutes and every site was gone within the first 15 minutes

Lisbon
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite RV Camping

I think I was one of the lucky ones...

Thanks

9. Re: Yosemite RV Camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park