We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of two hotels

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
193 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Choice of two hotels

Hi guys

We are looking at being in Yosemite for 2 nights from October 30th this year. We are looking at two hotels and I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on both. We were looking at either the Evergreen Lodge or Yosemite by the Falls. Evergreen looks nicer, but it is also 40 minutes outside the valley. Yosemite by the Falls location is the biggest seller for us, but the reviews I read on here aren't that favourable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of two hotels

Rob, I won't get into things as much as your Vegas hotel question. I'll just say it as it is:

Stay at The Lodge at Yosemite Falls.

It's basic but clean, homely and comfortable and its location is staggering. Any hotel a FORTY MINUTE DRIVE AWAY should have to be The Ritz for the same money to attract your interest.

But book now because Yosemite accommodation famously books out quickly.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,014 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of two hotels

Evergreen Lodge is at least 45 minutes to Yosemite Valley. If your short visit includes sunset at Glacier Point, that's an hour to the Valley and another 45 minutes to Evergreen Lodge (actually 'only' 1.5 hrs as you can skirt the edge of the Valley, but that's a long way home for the night.) If your visit includes sunset while relaxing in a meadow in Yosemite Valley, that's 45 minutes to get home.

Yosemite Lodge at the Falls is in the Valley. This is a much better choice, if you actually want to stay in Yosemite. This is a standard motel with a fabulous location. Ask for a "green room" if you want something more updated.

I assume you have been looking at maps & trip reports and have decided what you want to do for your short visit to Yosemite NP.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of two hotels

We've stayed at both places and my DH now wants to only stay at Evergreen Lodge. But it depends on what's important to you. Lodge at Falls is centrally located (with more food options); my DH prefers the quiet of EL--we've never seen tour buses parked there. We usually go in May (to beat the crowds) but even so he thinks Lodge at Falls is too busy/quiet to feel like he's a nature. (we always get a cabin with a deck that overlooks Stanislaus National Forest. We like to go to Hetch Hetchy; we find the drive from EL to the valley to be beautiful and always stop to take photos, even though we see it every year. So in our opinion the beauty of Yosemite begins long before you reach the park entrance. Again, it depends on what you like. We go to Yosemite every year, so we don't need to visit all sites in the Valley. If this is your first of only time there, you might prefer staying right in the valley.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of two hotels

Correction to above post. The line should read:

He thinks Lodge at Falls is too busy and not quiet enough to feel like he's a nature.

(note to self: don't comment on TA from my iPod)

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of two hotels

I guess the question is what are your priorities for your Yosemite visit. If Yosemite is your primary reason for your visit Yosemite Lodge at the Falls is the best choice. If you are interested in a fancy room with some inconvienece getting in and out of the park, Evergreen would be your choice.

I would pick lodging in the park myself. There is a reason it is so difficult to get a room at Yosemite Lodge as most people prefer this option.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choice of two hotels

If you want a fancy room can't you try the Ahwahnee Hotel? Or is that much more expensive than the Evergreen Lodge?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choice of two hotels

We looked at the Awhanee and it was out of our price range. As we are only going to be there for a day and a half, we are more than likely going to spend most of our time in the valley floor and hopefully going up to glacier point if the road is open

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,140 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choice of two hotels

For one night I wouldn't even worry about whether you're going to like The Lodge. Just book it for the location. And if you don't like it (you won't hate it, there's nothing to hate about it) then just remind yourself how wonderfully close you are to the reasons you wanted to come to Yosemite.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choice of two hotels

Haven't stayed at Evergreen but enjoyed Yosemite Lodge at the Falls.

I think it gets some poor reviews because people are expecting luxury based on the price. You're not paying for the hotel, you're paying for the location.

We had the valley and the Sentinels right off our balcony.

The hotel is fine. Basic and clean and in a great location.

I wake up early and my wife sleeps in or takes a little longer getting ready so I get to take a hike to the Falls and be back before b-fast. That wouldn't happen in El Portal.

For a first time short visit I would stay in the park. Just have realistic expectations and you'll have great time.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choice of two hotels

Oh, Go have b-fast or lunch at the Ahwahnee for sure...the bar used to serve a great bowl of chilli.