We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike to Yosemite Valley via Porcupine Flat trailhead

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hike to Yosemite Valley via Porcupine Flat trailhead

My wife and I will be in Yosemite June 19-25. If there is no snowpack in the higher elevations, we would like to hike from the Porcupine Flat trailhead to the Valley via Yosemite Falls. Has anyone done this? If so, can you describe the hike?...and any other bits of information....thanks.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,023 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike to Yosemite Valley via Porcupine Flat trailhead

For a detailed hiking conversation, I think the folks on the YosemiteNews.info forum do a good job. Here on the TripAdvisor forum we get more 'general' tourists with just a few backcountry enthusiasts.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/list.php?3

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike to Yosemite Valley via Porcupine Flat trailhead

I did that hike many years ago but I don't remember the details other than it was a nice hike. I wouldn't attempt it now as I don't like hiking downhill! You do need a way to retrieve your car if you leave it at Porcupine Flat.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike to Yosemite Valley via Porcupine Flat trailhead

I've done this and would do it again - leave your car at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls, take the early morning hiking bus to Porcupine Creek, past Indian Rock to North Dome, then over to Yosemite Falls and down. it's about 14 miles, and about 10 of that is flat or downhill (which, SCORE, at least for me). it can be done in a day by someone in reasonable shape (I'm mid 40's and did it in jeans, w/ a water bottle and a bag of trail mix, no pack - not the brightest idea but I came out OK) - I would recommend tho taking a decent map and a daypack w/ food and extra water, as it would have been much more enjoyable if I had taken a decent lunch for North Dome and more snacks for the dull parts. mainly I would recommend a good map because even tho the trail is very well defined and often has good visibility down towards the valley, there is a LONG section between North Dome and the top of Yosemite Falls west of Lehamite Creek where you are going to wonder "am I going the right way ???"

4. Re: Hike to Yosemite Valley via Porcupine Flat trailhead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 05:16