We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Yosemite

Vienna
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Yosemite

Two friends of mine and I are visiting Yosemite next August. On the first day I would like to drive up to Glacier Point and into Yosemite Valley. Then we have a full day to spend. I would like to do a spectacular hike. I was thinking about Clouds Rest because I am afraid that we wont get a permission for Half Dome and I think it's overcrowded anyways. What do you think? I'm a pretty good hiker, but my two friends aren't that experienced but basically in good shape. Clouds Rest is the better choice then, right?

Thank you for your help!

Vienna
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Yosemite

or are there any other hikes that you can recommend for a first time Yosemite visit instead of Clouds Rest?

Vienna
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Yosemite

Maybe we could do a 2 hours evening hike at Mist Trail after Glacier Point on the first day?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,961 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Yosemite

Good morning (it's about 6:30 am here on the West Coast.)

I think it makes more sense to see more of the front country in Yosemite for a first time visitor.

In August, Tuolumne Meadows area is lovely. There are numerous hikes that could appeal to first timers. Check out the NPS hiking page and YosemiteHikes.com I like Gaylor Lakes, but that's not an all day hike.

Mist Trail will probably still be crowded all day, but the flow will be pretty low. If you want a challenging hike, go up Mist Trail to Nevada Fall and down the John Muir Trail. But in August? I'd go to the Tuolumne Meadows high country.

On your visit to Glacier Point, you might want to make the 4 mile loop hike Taft Point - Pohono Trail - Sentinel Dome Some info is here, and look at the YosemiteHikes description tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d532061

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Yosemite

Are you spending two nights in the park? Because if you are only spending one night, you will have a chunk of time taking out of both days driving to and from the park.

I would agree that in only 2 days there is so much to see, that to limit yourself to an all day hike, especially if your friends are not as experienced, may not be the best idea. Really enjoy the sights of the valley on the first day. Visit Glacier Point later in the day, and include the loop that PNW mentioned.

On the second day, head up to Tuolumne Meadows and enjoy a wonderful hike up there. Include a stop at the Tuolumne Grove to hike down and see the amazing Giant Sequoias. Then head back to the valley or wherever you're staying.

Vienna
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Yosemite

We are staying two nights at Ahwahnee at the park entrance because of money reasons. Its not ideal but we are students and are not able to spend twice the money to stay inside the park. It will take around 1.5 hours from there to get to the valley right? The first day we are arriving from SF around midday. Fortunately we are not visiting on the weekend so it wont be too crowded I hope. Are there any waterfalls worth visiting in August?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in Yosemite

They're still worth visiting, they just aren't very full that time of year. However, sometimes a little summer storm goes through the high country and feeds them for a few days; you just never know.

Bridal Veil Falls has some flow all year long, as does Vernal and Nevada Falls. Yosemite Falls is usually only a trickle in August.

Vienna
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in Yosemite

Would you reccomend driving all the way from Ahwahnee to Tioga Pass and Tuolumne Meadows on the second day or is it too far for one day?

Vienna
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in Yosemite

How is the traffic on Tioga Road in August if we get up very early?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,961 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in Yosemite

Are you staying in the tiny town of Ahwahnee, many miles from any Park entrance? There is also a grand old historic hotel inside Yosemite Valley called the Ahwahnee Hotel.

I think that's just too far. How about Yosemite Bug? Did you read the lodging article in the Top Questions?

Yes there are waterfalls in August.

There are lots of visitors in the Park in August. They'll be on every road. But many folks don't get into the Park or out on the trails till around 9 am or even 10 am.

Vienna
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days in Yosemite

Yes we are planning to stay near the town Ahwahnee in a hotel that is located about 20 minutes away from the park entrance. Basically I dont mind driving but do you think thats too far out?