We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Yosemite - Itinerary

Dublin
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Topic
First time to Yosemite - Itinerary

Wed. June 26th: Drive to Yosemite via the Tioga Pass (weather permitting), See Tufa Spires Mono Lake. Stop at Tuolumne Meadows, Olmsted Point for views of Half Dome, and Tenaya Lake. See Tunnel View and Bridalveil Fall. Arrive and check in at Curry Village. Dinner at the Ahwahnee Hotel (Reservation for 6:15pm for 4).

Thurs. June 27th: Up early on Mist Trail to Vernal Falls. Have Lunch, Rent bikes and explore the valley on the paths. Waterfall Hike -Lower Yosemite Falls. Wed. Evening – Drive to Glacier Point, Sentinel Dome for an evening picnic.

Fri. June 28th: Leave Yosemite in the morning via South entrance; see Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias and Wowana. Travel to Gilroy (Shopping Outlet). Arrive Palo Alto late Fri. Evening

How does this sound ?

Edited: 07 April 2013, 14:47
Dublin
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Yosemite - Itinerary

Would it be possible to switch the ahanwhee to the Thursday and do sentinel dome and glacial point on Wednesday or would that be too much do you think?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Yosemite - Itinerary

Either way will work.

From Yosemite Valley, it's about an hour to drive to Glacier Point.

Roads will be open in late June. Waterfalls will still have water. Bikes might not be available in the afternoon if all have been rented.

Dublin
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Yosemite - Itinerary

Is it hard or too much to try and do two hikes in one day ? Our plan is to arrive and get to bed early .. Get up go on glacier point tour bus one way that departs at 8:30 then hike down the panorama trail/ 4 mile trail.. Then go for lunch and then do the mist trail .. Is it better to these the other way round and head on mist trail first and get 1:30 glacier point tour? What do you think? or maybe would it be good to do one hike and rent bikes for the aftenoon? i have made a reservation at ahwahnee for 7:45 that night . I was on the phone to someone in yosemite and asked them about sentinel dome but they didn't have a clue they said .. ? Is it that tour the same thing ?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Yosemite - Itinerary

Hmmm. More ideas.

The $25 bus from Yosemite Valley to Glacier Point does NOT stop at Sentinel Dome. It takes over an hour to get up to Glacier Point. Then you walk around and see the views. THEN you begin the 8.5 mile Panorama Trail hike. (This is NOT the Four Mile Trail. That's something different.) This trail gains 700' in the first 1.5 miles, then descends almost 4,000' past Nevada Fall and Vernal Fall via the Mist Trail.

Panorama Trail: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g61000-d33… and yosemitehikes.com/glacier-point-road/panoram…

You will not be 'going for lunch' after completing this hike. If you're in great shape, I'd guess you'd get back to Curry Village between 3:30 and 4:00. So you'll need to carry all your lunch, lots & lots of water, and your Ten Essentials for safe hiking. (Note: if you're in average shape, I'd guess you'll get back to Curry Village around 5 pm. But that's just my guess.)

Calling someone in Yosemite and asking about a short hike that isn't open year round won't yield great results. They might know about it, but it appears that they did not.

Would you prefer to take a 2.2 mile round trip hike to a dome? This won't take all day.

Dublin
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Yosemite - Itinerary

How does it sound so to just get up and do that and descend doing the pan aroma trail and then pass onto to the mist trail is that a good days work and is that a nice day in yosemite ?

Dublin
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Yosemite - Itinerary

Our friends did the mist trail up to vernal falls up and down. How long would this take? As previously said .. If we were to take the tour ugly to glacier point and then hike down the panorama trail and then onto the mist trail - is this a nice day in yosemite to have planned ? Would you recommend the bike tours, stroll and starie nights tours or something at yosemite? The evening programmes that are offered in yosemite

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Yosemite - Itinerary

There is not one itinerary that suits all people.

Hiking up the Mist Trail and down the John Muir Trail could be a lovely day. yosemitehikes.com/yosemite-valley/mist-trail…

Taking the $$$ bus to Glacier Point and hiking down the Panorama Trail all the way to the Valley could be a lovely day.

Renting bikes for 1/2 day and enjoying Glacier Point for 1/2 day could be lovely.

There are lots of options. You have to choose the ones that appeal to YOU.

I'm not as fond of water or extended downhill hikes; I prefer less-visited view hikes. Some people really enjoy being in a forest of Giant Sequoias. Some folks go to Yosemite and just relax by the river or lounge in a meadow, soaking up the view. Every one of these can be a 'best' idea for someone.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Yosemite - Itinerary

Taking the 8.30 bus up to Glacier Point and down the Panorama Trail (which includes the Mist Trail) is a wonderful day but as PNWF has said, you have to carry your lunch and adequate water, although you can fill up at Glacier Point. I think taking the JM Trail from Nevada Falls to Vernal Falls is easier than the Mist Trail, less steep, although you miss part of the river views. The Panorama trail is popular but far from wall to wall people due to its length (although you do pick up crowds after Vernal Falls). Sentinel Dome I have not done but it certainly gets raves for a shorter hike. You can't really go wrong!

Dublin
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Yosemite - Itinerary

How long would it take to do sentinel dome and glacier point ? I am thinking that for Wednesday evening then mist trail to vernal Nevada falls early morning then rent bikes for the rest of the day and dinner at ahwahnee at 7:45

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Yosemite - Itinerary

Driving from Curry Village with NO traffic on the one-way 25 mph roads out of Yosemite Valley to Wawona Road / Hwy 41 to Glacier Point Road to Glacier Point ... 1 hr.

Time to explore the Glacier Point area and take some photos ... 30 - 60 minutes. (Tho' my brother saw one visitor who ran up to the first marginal view, took two pictures, and returned to his car. He didn't even go out to Glacier Point! It took him 3 minutes to visit.)

Time to drive back to the Sentinel Dome Trailhead ... 5 minutes.

Time to walk 1.1 miles up to Sentinel Dome, take photos & enjoy views, walk back ... 1.5 hrs.

Time to drive back to Curry Village (you may want to stop at Tunnel View on the way down) .... 50 - 60 min

-------------

If there isn't traffic, you find parking places, and you're moving pretty well, it should take about 4 hours to 'do Sentinel Dome and Glacier Point.' If you drive directly to Glacier Point as you drive in toward the Valley on the El Portal Road instead of departing from Curry Village, you can 'save' about 15 minutes.