We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic/crowds during the Earth day weekend (April 19-21)

San Jose...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic/crowds during the Earth day weekend (April 19-21)

Hello everyone,

I am planning to visit Yosemite between April 19-21. Given that it is the earth day weekend (with lots of activities and free entrance), would there be lot of crowd/car traffic? Is it advisable to visit Yosemite that weekend?

Thanks in advance,

Abhi

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,662 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic/crowds during the Earth day weekend (April 19-21)

>>>Given that it is the earth day weekend (with lots of activities and free entrance), would there be lot of crowd/car traffic?<<<

I don't know for sure, it depends on if the park has any events planned, but hopefully PNWF will see this and give the definitive answer.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,402 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic/crowds during the Earth day weekend (April 19-21)

I'm waiting for marmot to answer!

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic/crowds during the Earth day weekend (April 19-21)

If I'm reading correctly, free fee days don't fall during your visit...they fall just after...I think...

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/feefreeparks.htm

As far as earth day events, my experience has been that though a few people come in specifically for the event, the number is relatively low. It tends to be people who would normally be in the park visiting, and they take part in the event since they are there.

Traffic will not be great because it's spring...but it will be better than weekends in May. And if the weather is bad...well...there won't be much traffic at all.

The visitor center area will indeed be packed. But outside of that area, you won't see any more crowds than you would on another spring weekend.

I wouldn't recommend changing plans because of the earth day events. I would recommend taking advantage of the events! There's a free organic salad bar in front of the visitor center right around lunch time...it's always really, really good.

Happy planning!

San Jose...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic/crowds during the Earth day weekend (April 19-21)

Thanks a lot Scott, PNWF and Marmot!

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic/crowds during the Earth day weekend (April 19-21)

We're planning a trip in our eurovan camper to Yosemite, possibly Death Valley and back to Washington via the Pacific coast route. We like to mountain bike, but sounds like most of the biking is on the road. Should we bring our road bikes or mountain bikes? Don't want to bring both. Thanks, Zeezer

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
62,402 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic/crowds during the Earth day weekend (April 19-21)

zeezer ~ please start a new thread with your questions so we can give them the attention they deserve. This thread is just about traffic & crowds on one specific weekend.

7. Re: Traffic/crowds during the Earth day weekend (April 19-21)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park