We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking sticks needed ?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
247 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
hiking sticks needed ?

Planning on hiking Mist Trail to Vernal falls and Upper Yosemite Falls. Will I need hiking sticks for this?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,710 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking sticks needed ?

Depends on your fitness, knees, balance. and hiking experience. I have never needed them but others swear by them. Most people do fine without. Only you know your limits.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking sticks needed ?

As Chinita says, depends a lot on the condition of your knees. My husband and I both have excellent fitness, but not great knees. We did the Mist Trail in 2009 without hiking poles but came back last year for Half Dome. I'd done my own research and convinced my husband that we should try hiking poles. We bought two sets on special at REI (they are REALLY expensive in Aus compared to the USA), figuring that if we hated them we could leave them behind and hadn't spent too much on them. They were a Godsend! Not as much for the uphill climbs, but for going downhill, they really do take some of the strain off your knees.

We saw some young people absolutely bounding down the trail like mountain goats and envied them their knee and ankle joints. If you have knees like that, then I probably would not bother with hiking poles. The other thing worth considering is that if you are going to want to have your hands free, then you should get a pack that will let you attach your poles to it.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,891 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking sticks needed ?

I don't hike without them. Best invention for hiking!

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking sticks needed ?

I always carry hiking poles. Makes a difference, especially if you are going over rocks.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,708 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking sticks needed ?

I use hiking poles as well. I can hike without them, but I do so much better with poles - my knees and ankles are much happier the next day. I am only in my 30s, but I figure that if I take extra care of my joints now, they will be healthier longer. And I agree - poles are esspecially nice for steep downhill sections, particularly on terrain with small, shifty rocks.

san mateo CA
Level Contributor
434 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiking sticks needed ?

I personally do not like hiking sticks but they are handy on occasion.

Somebody else should have cautioned you about the Mist Trail. When it is misty it can be both almost debilitatingly cold and slippery. A combination of layers to put on and good boots are required.

It can also be uncomfortably crowded.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 18:04
London
Level Contributor
906 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hiking sticks needed ?

Decent footwear is needed and water.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hiking sticks needed ?

What time of year? That has a bearing on how much water you'd likely encounter on the Mist Trail. There is a railing up the high steps on the Mist Trail. We went up the Mist Trail and back the MuirTrail. The hike to the top of Yosemite Falls and back is far more difficult, as I recall. If you go in the summer, great a very early start if possible: it can get hot and dusty on the trail. You may want hiking sticks (which you can buy at Yosemite Village or Camp Curry) especially for the downhill.

los angeles
Level Contributor
247 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hiking sticks needed ?

I will going next weekend. How much are the hiking stick sat Yosemite Valley?

Thanks everyone for your input

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hiking sticks needed ?

Here's one yosemitegifts.com/trekkingpole-203.html Phone:(209) 372-8396 or 209.372.1354

I'd think you could also find them in outdoor equipment stores in nearby towns.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 21:00
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park