We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite trip in July

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
phx
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Yosemite trip in July

Hello all!

I'm hoping some of you may have some suggestions for us. We are a family of 4, kids 10&13, and would like to visit Yosemite in July during the week. We would love so see some of the popular spots and do a few day hikes. Swimming would be very cool. I'm a photographer and am bringing my camera! We are in to scenic drives.

We know very little about Yosemite or the surrounding areas. We are not big campers but like rustic. Affordable is good. I've looked at lodging in surrounding areas but I'm not sure exactly how far it all is from the main hiking destinations.

If any of you have any suggestions as far as lodging, hiking, photo ops, cool restaurants, etc. we would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Dave in Phx

Edited: 16 April 2013, 17:50
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,050 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite trip in July

Start securing your lodging now as July is right around corner. Read the FAQ on the right on things to see.

Nothing beats staying in the Valley for your first visit. When you say rustic, I think of Housekeeping Camp and Curry Village tent cabins. Housekeeping is all sold out in July but there are some tent cabins available. Is this your idea of rustic and affordable or something different?

yosemitepark.com/curry-village-cabins.aspx

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,548 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite trip in July

Hi Dave

Start with the lodging article linked to the Top Questions. There is a basic map and a pdf of mileages. Drive time from various lodgings are also part of the information in that lodging article.

Then read the Trip Reports and the Activities for Families. Move on to the Trip Ideas and read all the relevant ones.

Develop some type of plan or wish list for your family. You may want to spend a few days in the Tuolumne Meadows high country, but finding July lodging now will be incredibly challenging. Maybe you want a long visit in the busy popular Valley, or maybe crowds aren't your thing. Maybe you prefer to be further away where you can swim in the river near your rental cabin and you'll be staying in Wawona. Maybe your budget is so tight that you'll want to drive 2-4 hours each day to get to the places that appeal to you. Maybe you'll want a family place like Evergreen Lodge outside the Big Oak Flat entrance.

Yosemite is not a dining paradise. Set your expectation low and you'll be happy. I prefer picnics.

Swimming ~ South Fork of the Merced River in Wawona, Merced River in Yosemite Valley, Tenaya Lake on Tioga Road (may be chilly), Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne River in Tuolumne Meadows. Swim at your own risk, generally the water warms up enough for swimming in mid-July.

Photography thread ~ tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k41493…

phx
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite trip in July

Thanks for the quick responses. Just an update - I book a few nights at Curry Camp to make sure we have a spot. It appears to be close to the popular hiking spots, correct? Now it's time to start doing homework.

In the meantime if you have any further suggestions, we are all ears!

Thanks again!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite trip in July

Definitely spend at least one day in the eastern side of the park, in the Tuolomne Meadows area. There are some great relatively short hikes--look at the website yosemitehikes.com for ideas along the "Tioga Pass Road." (As well as in the valley and Glacier Point.) Pothome Dome is one of my favorite short hikes and kids would love scrambling up the dome. (Its not at all dangerous, don't think "Half Dome.") The Gaylor Lakes will be uncrowded by Yosemite standards and there should still be wildflowers. If time permits, you might consider staying a night on that side--Lee Vining and June Lake would work--and seeing Mono Lake.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite trip in July

Spend time reviewing the NPS website for Yosemite.

www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/index.htm

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite trip in July

Look at the Web site. It has maps, and info on the free shuttles. When we stayed at Camp Curry, we took a shuttle to Happy Isles to walk to Vernal and Nevada Falls. You can walk from CC if you want to add some distance. Other hiking spots, such as Yosemite Falls are a bit far away to walk, but reachable by shuttle or car. If you want to stay in Tuolumne Meadows, look NOW to book a tent cabin there, or at another High Sierra Camp. White Wolf, on the road from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne, would, I think, be more likely to have openings.

I'm sure you know Camp Curry and others are tent cabins, with central shower and toilet facilities (and central lockers, to store anything you have that might have a scent, in order to avoid problems with bears).

Edited: 16 April 2013, 20:39
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,548 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite trip in July

Just to be clear, each Curry Village tent cabin has its own private bear-proof locker. You can even lock it.

There are shared lockers at many of the trailheads. You cannot lock those.

My favorite easy hike is on the Glacier Point Road. It's the Sentinel Dome hike: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d532061 If you want a longer hike with more views, go to Taft Point first, then walk along the rim on the Pohono Trail, and circle around & up Sentinel Dome.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite trip in July

#7: good. They've apparently changed things. When we were last there, we had to put items in lockers (which could be locked) in the central building area. More convenient at each tent, though it somewhat defeats the purpose of keeping bears away from the tents (maybe now direct them to the lockers).

Groveland
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yosemite trip in July

For quality information on various hikes in Yosemite, check out http://www.yosemitehikes.com/. It will give you useful info like how crowded the trails are likely to be during your time of visit, difficulty of terrain and photos of what you will see. For additional lodging choices go to http://staynearyosemite.com/ for a collection of varied accommodations.

10. Re: Yosemite trip in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 06:16