We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite fully booked?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
12 posts
Save Topic
Yosemite fully booked?

My friend and I have booked a 35 day trip from the UK to America, East Coast to West Coast that was going to end in Yosemite camping for a week, however it seems as if all the campsites close to where the bus drops you off (Yosemite Lodge) are fully booked. Help!!! There are two campsites available that are 20+ miles away and we would be apprehensive making our way through the park on foot upon first arriving.

Yosemite was the main reason we planned and booked the trip and it would be devastating if we couldn't stay there.

Are there likely to be cancellations? Should we call them direct? Please help us.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,023 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite fully booked?

I think there are a few options.

1) Folks who arrive via public transit are directed to a specific campground by a ranger. I don't know which one or where, but I've heard others refer to it. (Maybe the backpacker campground?)

2) Camp 4 is in Yosemite Valley and is a shared campsite / no-reservation campground. But it fills by 7 or 8 am most days.

3) In the summer, there are some buses up to Tuolumne Meadows where you can camp.

Note that you CANNOT walk on the Park roads to the other campgrounds outside of the Valley.

You'll get a reply from a ranger if you post on the Yosemite NP facebook page.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite fully booked?

When are you going?

Edited: 18 April 2013, 00:01
Liverpool
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite fully booked?

Thank you! I will post on that facebook page and see what they say.

And It will be around the 24th of August when we go.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite fully booked?

Ok, would have been happy to share our camp if u were there same time as us. but we going a couple of weeks later

Liverpool
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite fully booked?

That's a shame, thank you though! Hopefully with any luck we'll find someone willing to share their camp with us, that would be perfect.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemite fully booked?

Would you consider booking something in Curry Village or Housekeeping etc as a back-up? No, it's not camping, and it costs more, but as you're learning, Yosemite books up way in advance. At least you'd know for sure you have *somewhere* to sleep, and you can still work on getting a campsite in the meantime.

The official concessionaire, DNC, has pretty generous cancelation policies, so there's not much risk involved. https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx…

San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
449 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemite fully booked?

I need a little help here to aid the OP. The only times I have camped in the Park or Valley recently have been in winter or well off season or under a wilderness permit so campground reservations have not been a problem for me.

Is there still a small Ranger station near Curry where someone can go in the Morning and get a site that others have cancelled. The above recommendation of one of the tent cabins is excellent and then the visitors could go in the early morning the next day and reserve a site that has been cancelled.

LA
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemite fully booked?

craig37-

Where are the two campsites available 20+ miles away?

Are they in Tuolumne Meadows? It should be available by bus, although I don't have the schedule in hand.

The tent cabins idea is not a bad one, although they are quite expensive @ $119 a night + tax.

San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
449 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yosemite fully booked?

I missed the question about the campsites available 20+ miles away. I think Tuolumne Meadows is further than that but it can be quite nice but you are remote from the Valley. If one is Crane Flat it is also quite nice and an area that I would like to explore but I have been in the park some 50+ times, some for work. I would like to recommend a night in the Curry tent cabins and picking up a cancelled campsite the next day but as I posted above am not sure of the mechanism.

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yosemite fully booked?

Both Wawona and Tuolome have availability for that time. True, they aren't in the Valley, but I've heard that free shuttles run in and around the Yosemite area regularly. Wawona is near the Mariposa Grove of trees, and Tuolome is in the high country. Perhaps you can have those spots as a sure thing, and then regularly check the Valley campgrounds (when you're there) for an opening, or maybe other campers who would be willing to share their space. Have fun!