We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valley Moonlight Tour?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Valley Moonlight Tour?

We are traveling to Yosemite in September and it is listed that there will be the Valley Moonlight Tour available during our stay. It looks like it might be interesting! Any thoughts on this? Also, does anyone have any idea what time this tour would start in the evening? I am trying to plan our day to try and fit in as much as possible! Thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
165 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valley Moonlight Tour?

I reviewed this in my April 16 tripadvisor review of Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. I believe the valley moonlight tour you are referring to is called Night Prowl, and costs $5, and is held at the Lodge every Friday and Saturday at 830pm starting April 12,2013 . You must sign up in advance at the tour desk, right next to the registration desk. Night Prowl fills up fast, so you need to reserve well in advance. I don't know if you can do this by phone.

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley Lodge
Yosemite Valley Lodge
4,024 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Valley Moonlight Tour?

Hi Jazzy,

Will you be visiting during the full moon? If so, you might want to do the full moon tour. See this post from ALTippet: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k64…

Cheers.

Mariposa, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valley Moonlight Tour?

The Night Prowl happens whether it is a or is not a full moon. It's a fun stroll with a naturalist, learning about nocturnal animals. Currently somewhere around $5 and tickets available at tour desks. It tends to sell out in the summer.

Moonlight tours are completely different. Tickets sold at the tour desks but $25. It's the same idea as the day time valley floor tour (tram ride) but it's at night...usually something like 3 or 4 days before the full moon and on the full moon itself. Depending on the weather in september, it can be quite cool, so bring lots of layers. One sometimes two stops on it, with hot chocolate served at Tunnel View. It's an interesting conundrum of a tour...people seem to enjoy the cliffs in the moonlight, riding around the valley. But to me it's a bit loud, and would rather stroll through one of the meadows or head to Glacier Point for a full moon...but that's me.

Moonrise in San Francisco this past Thursday (full moon) was 8:15ish pm. The moon has be high enough to reach over the Valley cliffs though. The moonlight tour this past Thursday began at 10pm. My guess in September is 8 or 9pm depending on how many days before the full moon you arrive. The moon rises about 45ish minutes later each night as it heads towards the full moon. That's not a guarantee, but a guess.

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Tunnel View
Tunnel View
2,597 Reviews
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,029 Reviews
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
589 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valley Moonlight Tour?

marmot1995, If it was me and it sounds like maybe if it was with you, a walk on the valley floor, not necessarily with guides should be fun at all times. In a full moon great fun particularly if there is snow on the ground. Yes one may miss information on nocturnal animals.

5. Re: Valley Moonlight Tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 05:17