We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucky got Aug night at Yosemite Lodge, help with trip..

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Lucky got Aug night at Yosemite Lodge, help with trip..

I've been planning a road trip to California July 27-Aug 6 from our home in New Mexico (our own car). It is just my husband and I (50's semi-active). We can camp or we can stay in high end lodging. I have not been to Yosemite since I was 6 months old and husband never. Not huge hikers, 1+ mile or so. Mostly looking for photos!

While searching for lodging I stumbled upon a family room at Yosemite Lodge for Aug 1, so grabbed it and now that is the lodging we will plan around. I think I got lucky from what I have read.

Here's our plan... Need help with day 7 and 8!!! Thanks.

Day 1 Jul 27 - NM to AZ

Day 2 Jul 28- 1 night in Vegas - This is my husband's wish. Staying at one of the new hotels. One night will be plenty for us.

Day 3 Jul 29- Vegas to Lee Vining. Mono Lake, Bodi Ghost Town. Any suggestions for lodging?

Day 4 Jul 30 - Tioga Pass. Crane Flat CG

Day 5 Jul 31 - Tall trees, rivers etc. Crane Flat CG

Day 6 Aug 1 - Yosemite Valley - Yosemite Lodge

Day 7 Aug 2 - What to do??? Yosemite or to Sequoia?

Day 8 Aug 3 - Sequoia?

Day 9 Aug 4 - 1/2 way home - Kingman AZ

Day 10 Aug 5 Home

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucky got Aug night at Yosemite Lodge, help with trip..

Any interest in going through death valley in the middle of summer? Ha ha. How does how vehicle handle dirt roads? 3 miles of it to Bodie.

Mono Lake tufas interesting as tent rocks in NM.

Welcome back to CA. No return to SF this time?

Edited: 13 May 2013, 02:29
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucky got Aug night at Yosemite Lodge, help with trip..

AWD van or 4x4. Death Valley not much interest in summer, 1 night in Vegas will be enough! We like historic and geologic sites. No SF this trip boo hoo!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucky got Aug night at Yosemite Lodge, help with trip..

Lee Vining lodging can be limited. The alternative is June Lake or Mammoth Lakes a little further south. The attraction of Mammoth Lakes (beyond staying in a ski condo during the off season) is Devils Postpile NM. These are columns of basalt that have cooled and are interesting geologically. Plus there is also a earthquake fault area where you can view the effects of earth moving at Mammoth Mtn.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lucky got Aug night at Yosemite Lodge, help with trip..

For Sequoia, the Wusakchi Lodge is worth it. If you sign up for their email specials, you might get discounts. Given time, i would skip Mariposa Grove at Yosemite as I will see lots of groves at Sequoia. For the same reason, i might skip the long drive into Kings Canyon. Although the Kings canyon walls are higher than Yosemite, the view might be a little anticlimatic if you visit right after.

If you want, you should be able to camp at Lodgepole in Sequoia and at Devils Postpile (first come but with backup staying in one of the many ski lodges which should be empty)

But the Wusakchi is highly recommended if they are not booked in aug

Edited: 13 May 2013, 05:56
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lucky got Aug night at Yosemite Lodge, help with trip..

June Lake is a little closer than Mammoth but things do fill up fast--fishermen! Pothole Dome is a short hike that will give you fabulous views and the dome slopes down to the Tuolomne River and a cascade--very scenic. (You can also just follow the path around the Dome and climb over a very small rockpile for the cascade, but that would be a pity! Its a very tame dome, as you will see.) You also get some lovely views of Lembert Dome and the other mountains from the Soda Springs walk and then wandering down to the river. You might also enjoy walking the quiet path along the far side of Tenaya Lake--its about a mile, but you can get the shuttle back to the other end I believe! Also for photos, don't forget to stop at the Dana Meadows just inside the eastern park gates.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lucky got Aug night at Yosemite Lodge, help with trip..

Some links that might be helpful...

greeneadventures.com/2011/…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60791-d2836…

yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road/yosemite-tioga-…

www.nps.gov/depo/naturescience/geology.htm and

http://www.monolake.org/about/geotufa

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lucky got Aug night at Yosemite Lodge, help with trip..

vnrose52- Stop giving away my favorite secret spot. Ixnay on the Ascadekay

It's ugly and full of bugs and snakes.

What is the status of Hot Creek? That is an interesting geologic site not far from Mammoth.

In terms of lodging in numerical order: Mammoth >> June Lakes>> Lee Vining.

However, Lee Vining motels are just fine. I kinda like them for their small town appeal. And Mono Cone- yum- must have a Mono Cone in the afternoon after Bodie and Mono Lake.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 19:23
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lucky got Aug night at Yosemite Lodge, help with trip..

Okay, I plead guilty to drastically overstating the charms of that insignificant little waterfall. :-) But do still consider walking up the Dome.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lucky got Aug night at Yosemite Lodge, help with trip..

Thanks for the ideas! I'm still trying to decide if we will go to Sequoia or try for another night in Yosemite, Wawona still has rooms, or we can camp. Thanks again.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
60 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lucky got Aug night at Yosemite Lodge, help with trip..

PareoB - I, on the other hand, am most grateful to Vnrose for pointing out the insignificant little trickle. Even with the low snow pack, I'm sure it will still be trickling in early July. I've been to TM many times and never knew about it - having never attempted to follow the river beyond the meadow's edge. It sounds perfectly idyllic, especially with a 6yr old in-tow.