We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late July/early Aug trip questions

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Late July/early Aug trip questions

We have Crane Flat Campground July 30 and 31 and a Family Room at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls for Aug 1. We are a couple 50's semi-active no huge hikes under 3mi rt! Questions...

1. Leaving Lee Vining/June Lake area in morning on July 30. Picnic lunch Tuolumne Meadow area. We like to set up camp by about 3-4pm. Are Tuolumne Grove sequoias better to see in the morning or evening? We can go this night or in the morning.

2. Glacier Point the next day should this be early morning or afternoon? Mostly taking photos but maybe a shortish hike.

3. Mountain Room or Ahwahnee for dinner? Seems Mountain Room gets better reviews on Yelp and after a few nights of camping, real dining may be needed, lol!

4. Wawona Lodge, are the restrooms fairly close to the rooms? I don't mind the shared bath idea but don't want to have to walk like you do in a campground! I'm still debating on whether we want to stay there or head somewhere else.

5. What waterfalls will still be flowing late July/early August? I know not many!

Thanks. I've read top questions, googled, etc just need some ideas on these ????

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,803 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late July/early Aug trip questions

1. Deer are more active in the late afternoon. Trails are less crowded and temperatures more tolerable in the morning.

2. Early morning or very very late afternoon. Mid-afternoon is too crowded. I like the Sentinel Dome trail.

5. Vernal Fall & Nevada Fall run year round. Bridalveil should have a wisp of water as well.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late July/early Aug trip questions

Thanks. Is it a "Disneyland crowded" visit to Vernal and Nevada Falls at that time?

I am totally amazed that I got campground and lodging reservations last weekend. I have been looking to add/change some this weekend and nothing different!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late July/early Aug trip questions

Shuttle buses are definitely very crowded to / from Happy Isles during popular hours and the trail to the Vernal footbridge is very busy.

But just as Disneyland is manageable early in the morning, it should be OK early in the morning and the crowds thin out the further up you get from the footbridge.

Ahwahnee dining has the better views and name recognition. I actually like the bar/grill next to the mountain room. Prices are reasonable and they often have a big open fire pit lit in the evenings so it can be somewhat romantic as much as bar/grill places with TVs on the walls can be romantic. You could do both and have dinner at the Mountain and breakfast at the Ahwahnee.

Sinks are in the room at the Wawona Hotel (at least each time I've been there). There are restrooms on the same floor close by. Showers can be on different floors depending on where your room is. Shower and bathroom locations also differ depending if you are in the Main building or the Annex.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late July/early Aug trip questions

There ARE rooms at the Wawona without sinks, as I know to my misfortune! But maybe not many. As noted above, distance to the shower room can vary.

5. Re: Late July/early Aug trip questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 05:19