We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half Dome Permit question

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
437 reviews
Save Topic
Half Dome Permit question

Hi all.

So, I am coming to Yosemite in about a week's time. I did get a half dome permit (2 hikers) via the lottery system. However, as the trip is getting closer I am nervous that my wife is not gong to be able to make the trek up. Now, it's a dream of mine to summit Half Dome and I know that I can, but not at the expense of my marriage, lol. My question is: If I don't use the permit, is there any consequence? I understand that I lose my $16, but what I mean is, if I travel back to Yosemite in a year or two will I be unable to make the climb because I already had a ticket but did not use it? Thanks so much for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Half Dome
Half Dome
1,283 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Half Dome Permit question

Putting aside my jealousy that you have a permit...ahem...do you think your wife will struggle with the subdome/cables or with the hike itself? If she could get to the base of the cables or base of the subdome do you think she would be willing to let you complete the hike while she waits and looks at the scenery?

Forgot to add - I don't think there is any penalty, I can't remember reading anything about it. I wonder if there is anyway for you to notify the recreation.gov people who do the permits that you aren't going to use it. Maybe then the could increase the number of two-day-before permits? Hopefully someone might know and be able to advise.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 10:14
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,596 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half Dome Permit question

There is no penalty, but there are hundreds of folks who would be happy to know that two permits were returned to 'the system' and they had a greater chance for the Daily Lottery.

I like the idea of your wife going part way and waiting for you. That has worked for us on many hikes, including this one. (My son waited while my husband completed the hike.)

This page has more information including a link to MrHalfDome's website tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d139183

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
696 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half Dome Permit question

What part of the hike are you worried about for your wife? My family did this several years ago and the weakest link in our group was my wife. However, she was a trooper and we took our time making our way to Half Dome. My wife was very concerned about having the upper body and arm strength (she doesn't have much) to make it up the cables, but really had no issue at all. In fact, seeing the cables made her all that more determined since she felt she couldn't stop short of getting to the top after going all that way.

If there is any way to convince your wife to go, the reward is so worth it. Not only is there the sense of accomplishment, but the view is just amazing

Mentioned in this post
Half Dome
Half Dome
1,283 Reviews
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half Dome Permit question

There is NO penalty if you cancel your permits...no data base of people who bail out....cancel it at least 2 days in advance for a refund...plus those permits add to the 2-day mini-lottery. If your wife has trepidation - don't force her. It is a monster hike BEFORE the Sub Dome and cables. The Mist Trail is a killer. Either go with her as far as she can - or do it alone. There are enuff people to assist you.

Then you can "give": your permit to a hiker on the trail who does not have a permit. They need to be with you when you reach the ranger at Sub Dome.

Rick

Mr Half Dome

HikeHalfDome.com

Mentioned in this post
Mist Trail
Mist Trail
837 Reviews
Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half Dome Permit question

Thanks everybody. I am most worried for my wife about the hike itself. I think she can handle the cables. But I actually twisted my own knee this week in sf, trying to ride a tandem across the bridge, lol. How do I go about canceling my ticket, so it goes back in the system?

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Half Dome Permit question

Here is the information I have:

1. To cancel the entire permit, contact www.recreation.gov or telephone them at 877-444-6777. This will put the number of people on your cancelled permit into *the 2-day before* inventory.

2. The $8.00 per person permit fee is refundable provided (a) THE PERMIT HAS NOT BEEN PRINTED and (b) THE PERMIT IS CANCELLED MORE THAN 2 DAYS IN ADVANCE of the hike.

3. The fee to enter the lottery ($4.50 if you entered the permit lottery on-line or $6.50 if you called recreation.gov to enter) is not refundable.

There is no database kept of Half Dome Trail permit holders who had a permit and did not use it and did not cancel. So no worries for the future.

You and your wife will have a wonderful time enjoying Yosemite without climbing Half Dome on this trip.

Mentioned in this post
Half Dome
Half Dome
1,283 Reviews
7. Re: Half Dome Permit question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 06:17