We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariposa Grove Questions

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Mariposa Grove Questions

Hi

We (myself, wife & 9 year old daughter) will be in Yosemite from Tuesday 13th to Friday 16th August, We are planning on visiting Mariposa Grove & Sugar Pine Railroad on the Friday.

Questions is this:

- How much time do you need at Mariposa Grove? I would like to see the upper and lower grove.

- We are staying in Foresta, How long do we need to allow for drive?

- Parking is meant to be bad, what time do we need ot get there to safely get parking?

- We have booked 12:30 train at Sugar Pine, will I end up rushing time at the grove?

Cheers

Gareth

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mariposa Grove Questions

This is one of the regular poster's advice on another thread:

"There is a small lot AT Mariposa Grove. If you're early enough, you can get one of the spots (maybe room for 75 cars?) GoogleMaps Street View: http://goo.gl/maps/TGcXq Maybe there are more than 75 spots.

The lot by the South Entrance fits about 2 dozen cars. Another street view: http://goo.gl/maps/52MTE "

Hopefully the links work, if not here is the original post: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g61000-i315-k65…

I don't exactly know where Foresta is, but Google Maps says it's about 1:20 from there to the Mariposa Grove. (Google Maps says Foresta is sort of NE of El Portal, unless I have it wrong!)

I think the first time my husband and I visited the Mariposa Grove we spent somewhere around 3-4 hours there, but I am very vague on this, it was a while ago. In terms of the Sugar Pine train, I don't know anything about this (about to Google - again!), hopefully someone else can advise.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,597 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mariposa Grove Questions

If you're trying to get one of the few spots at the Mariposa Grove lot, arrive by 8:30 am. So leave your Foresta cabin by 7:15 or so. It's actually faster to drive to Mariposa Grove because of the one way roads skirting the edge of the Valley.

If you're walking, the Upper & Lower Grove trails will take roughly 3 hours. With a child, it may take longer. A loop hike including some of the 'best bits' (Museum, Wawona Point, Fallen Tunnel Tree, Telescope Tree) is about 5 miles. If you take the $$$ audio tram tour, I think they begin at 9 or 9:30 and take 1 1/4 hrs.

Print the map for Mariposa Grove from the linked thread above.

The Sugar Pine Railroad is about a 15 minute drive from the Mariposa Grove parking lot.

No place for lunch, so have your picnic with you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
537 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mariposa Grove Questions

It took us 3 hours to hike most of the trails at Mariposa Grove yeterday morning and we didn't get to Wawona Point.

I highly recommend getting there early - it's quiet and peaceful.

There are tram tours that start at 9 am, but I don't know if you have to buy ticket and stay on one tour all the time, but it may add people to certain sights.

We took a small map with rough trail and took

Three Graces and Bachelor --> Grizzly Giant --> California Tunnel --> Faithful Couple --> Clothespin --> Telescope --> Fallen Tunnel --> Museum --> Grizzly Giant --> Parking lot loop.

The section between Museum and Grizzly Giant was our least favorite, but many people were taking that path on our way back.

We liked a lot Faithful Couple --> Clothespin --> Telescope --> Fallen Tunnel section - lots of sequoias, very few people, basically we were at all trees alone, and saw just a couple of parties at Fallen Tunnel tree, but soon after we head to Museum we saw tram arrived, and I don't know if it was quiet after that.

We were at the parking lot at 7:45 and hit the trail immediately and we covered section to California Tunnel very fast, since we were there a day before, and we walk pretty fast, so think 3 hours to see everything is a stretch, more like 4 hours at least, but you can always skip some parts of the trail.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mariposa Grove Questions

All

Many thanks for your feedback, very useful indeed. Decided we are going to aim to get there for about 7:30, spend 4 hours and then we can go to sugar pine railroad. We will be walking the upper & lower grove (wont be getting the tram).

Regards

Gareth

Edited: 29 May 2013, 07:53
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,597 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mariposa Grove Questions

There are some 10% off coupons for the Sugar Pine Railroad "floating" around. Try Googling "Sugar Pine railroad coupon" to see what comes up.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mariposa Grove Questions

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was hoping to get some advice on the parking situation at MG. We are thinking of heading straight to MG on our drive from San Fran, as we are staying just outside the south entrance, but we are probably not going to arrive until early afternoon (on a Saturday in September). Does this mean it will be unlikely we will find somewhere to park? Is there another way

in if we park somewhere else, or can anyone suggest what we should do?

Many thanks

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,597 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mariposa Grove Questions

Hi again sam_quaife You will probably be parking in Wawona and taking the free shuttle up to Mariposa Grove.

Mariposa Grove (including shuttle info) tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-d592681

===========

Gareth H ~ any last minute questions for your trip?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mariposa Grove Questions

Hi

No, I think we are okay at the moment, aiming to get to mariposa grove for 7.30 am. Thanks for help though.

G

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mariposa Grove Questions

Hi Sam are you staying at Tenya lodge ? we did the same thing late august last year (on a Sunday) and got parked at MG no problem. At that time in the afternoon (2-30 3-30) there are plenty of people leaving.

10. Re: Mariposa Grove Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:18