We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far to Yosemite Valley....

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How far to Yosemite Valley....

I am finding that lodging is quite expensive, both in and outside the park. If we were to stay

outside the park, how far is it to Yosemite Valley? So far, only the tent cabins seem to be in

our budget and I'm just not sure about them. Ideally, I prefer a room with a private bath....

If anyone can give me some good suggestions, I will be most grateful....

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,252 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far to Yosemite Valley....

how far to Yosemite valley from where ? How about using maps.google.com and typing in your start and end points as you can see the route, get info by yourself.

Have you read the top questions in the Yosemite forum.

Edited: 07 June 2013, 20:53
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far to Yosemite Valley....

"If we were to stay outside the park, how far is it to Yosemite Valley?" Uh, I think we'd first have to know WHERE outside the park. Groveland? Mariposa? El Portal? Midpines? Lee Vining? As you'll find from reading posts here, the choice between price and convenience is a big one. I personally would rather stay inside Yosemite Valley (not just for the convenience but also the atmosphere), even if it mean the tent cabins with central showers and toilets, but I realize many feel differently. You imply that even places outside the park you've found are what you consider "expensive," though I assume most of them have private baths.

It would help if you also added what your budget actually is (and what prices you've found so far), and what your dates of travel are. And how many days would be involved.

Atlanta area
Level Contributor
720 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far to Yosemite Valley....

True that it matters where, but there still is some info to convey here: from anywhere outside the Valley will take a good while to get in. Close to an hour is probably the shortest to drive (each way), and could be longer. Last year I stayed in Oakhurst and the drive was about 1.5 hours each way.

The roads into Yosemite are twisty mountain roads, you'll be doing 35-45 mph at best. Then depending on season and arrival time you could face traffic at the gate and in the park. If you do stay outside the park try to get an early start to your day to at least beat the traffic.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,540 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far to Yosemite Valley....

The drive times are included in the lodging article linked to the Top Questions. Here is a direct link: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c59487

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far to Yosemite Valley....

This is the kind of information I need (took a Georgian to do it!). I wanted to hear the

details from someone who has been there and that's just what you did. Thanks, JR!!

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far to Yosemite Valley....

Also, thank you PacificNWFamily - that's a good link. I appreciate your help.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,540 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far to Yosemite Valley....

Some of the roads leading up to Yosemite are 55 mph. Most of the ones inside Yosemite NP are 35 mph. But they're all curving, twisty, winding, or whatever you'd like to call them. Don't expect straight freeway driving.

Back ups at the entrance stations can be 2 minutes, 10 minutes, or even an hour. The South Entrance is beginning an upgrade project this summer to create 3 entrance kiosks. That will be great when they're open, but this summer the construction delays may be frustrating to folks staying in Oakhurst.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far to Yosemite Valley....

If staying outside the Valley, i like the Cedar Lodge in El Portal as it is easy to get to the Valley. Yosemite View is 10-15 minutes closer but often $100 per night more. That works out to $200/ hour savings. More than my hourly wage.

Edited: 08 June 2013, 13:17
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,362 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far to Yosemite Valley....

It's hard to get a "handle" on Yosemite if you've never been, I understand that! From many of the "outside" places, it does take about 1 to 1+ hours to get into the valley.

We were there in a large RV and we like hookups (none insidethe park), so we stayed near Groveland. It took just over an hour to get to the actual valley going straight through, but we stopped here and there and wandered around enjoying the area, so it did not seem like a "commute" , LOL! If you factor in the extra time and don't stress about it, you should be fine.

10. Re: How far to Yosemite Valley....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 06:16