We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Venting....

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Just Venting....

I love everything about Yosemite EXCEPT trying to secure reservations a year in advance. Ugh! I have been trying for two weeks now to get reservations at the Lodge for next June and have been completely unsuccessful. On the computer at 6:58 am every morning just waiting to grab something and there is nothing. Again, just venting. I know I just have to keep checking but I would rather not have to check for reservations every day, every hour for the next year.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,891 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Venting....

My guess is that since DNC allows 3rd party companies to book blocks of rooms that it's really hard for individuals to get reservations. Since the campsite reservations doesn't allow 3rd parties to book & then resell campsites, why does the lodging reservations allow 3rd parties to do that?

Something needs to change.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Venting....

Lol! While driving home last weekend I went on line to see if there were rooms for next summer. 362 days out. Nope! So ridiculous. But as I got great rooms for this summer 3 months out, with a lot of computer time, I am sure I can do the same for next summer.

Really wish the Park Service would dump DNC. Just saying

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,950 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Venting....

Look at Yosemite West...

as an alternative

http://www.yosemitewest.com/

and yep - its been that way for so many years to try to get reservations one year out - many just expect it as part of going to yosemite (note: People do cancel and change plans, so there are usual openings but yep, it takes a ton of work. )

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Venting....

I will continue to feel very lucky I got one night at the Lodge for Aug 1 and 2 nights together, in the same site at Crane Flat CG online in May. Good luck to you!

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
468 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Venting....

We stayed at the Yosemite Bug Hostel about a 45 minute drive outside the park. Nice place with private rooms. Of course nothing fancy, but, clean with a coffee shop, laundry, and entertainment around the fire pit at night. Our girls were young at the time and there was good mix of families, young ppl, and seniors staying there.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Venting....

I agree with you about the DNC management. The good news is that you ARE very likely to get a reservation, and DON'T need to go on every day for a year. Give it a few months for some of those mass bookings to dwindle down and start canceling, and you should find a nice room.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Venting....

Thanks all for letting me vent. :) Do those 3rd party companies get access before the rest of us? I just don't get why I am on the computer as soon as rooms are released 366 days in advance and there's nothing. At least at the Lodge there's nothing. Mini, I checked out Yosemite West. Looks super nice and would be great to have a kitchen but with my three little ones and already making them sit in the car for 9 hours to get to Yosemite I do like being in the Valley, not moving the car for a few days and just getting around by shuttle. I think I will take your advice macjack and just hold off for a few months. If not I might drive myself crazy! :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Venting....

Oh, one other question.....My goal is to get 4 nights at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. Does anyone have experience with making reservations online for one day and then grabbing another consecutive day when it becomes available, and then another consecutive day when it becomes available, etc? If you call the DNC after you get all these one day reservations are they happy to combine into one reservation? I'm assuming though I have to always book the same type of room to get them combined, i.e., each individual day is a Family Bunk Room rather than some days a Family Bunk Room and some days Standard Room etc. I have seen onesie days available but not always the same type of room.

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Venting....

I think you will be fine, based on my experience.

I started in March for reservations this August. Initially, I got one night at the Wawona, and that was it (I wanted reservations at the Lodge at the Falls). I made reservations at the Yosemite View (in El Portal) as back-up.

I checked occasionally and about 3 weeks ago, I was able to get first one, then two nights at the Lodge. Both of these were King bed rooms, which would mean that I would need to get a roll-away cot (3 people), which is OK, but not ideal.

Then within the last few days, I got one night in a Family Bunk room, and then just tonight, the second night in a Family Bunk room. I just tried at random times, but I have had more success at night (EDT). So I've ended up with two nights at Lodge at the Falls and one night at Wawona (which is what I wanted), with the right size rooms.

I am grateful to the recommendation to keep trying, and it all worked out. As for combining reservations, I don't think it really matters. I hope we will be able to stay in the same room, since it is the same type of room, but if not, we will move if necessary.

Good luck, but don't fret too much.

Hefei98

Chevy Chase, MD

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Venting....

LovetoTravel seperate nights at a time is exactly how I booked my rooms at The Lodge for my trip 2 weeks ago. Than when I had all the nights I needed, 3, I called and had them turn it into 1 single reservation. Easy peasy. Know that they will take a room charge for each booking, but perk is when you get there your stay is already paid or close to it.

Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park