We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosimite National Park to las Vegas driving at night.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Yosimite National Park to las Vegas driving at night.

I am going to drive from Yosemite to las vegas at night. I will start driving around 6pm and try to make vegas probably some time early morning. Can anyone suggest me, is it good idea or not. And the things that I have to be careful if I am driving. Any tips any idea I will be greatful and appreciate for it.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosimite National Park to las Vegas driving at night.

When? Are you doing this alone? Are you young and fit? Are you experienced driving all night? What route are you planning to use?

In general I'd say it's not a good idea. Some people are good at driving all night. If you are not one of those people then I'd suggest not to do this.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosimite National Park to las Vegas driving at night.

We will be 3 people we are about 24 to 26 of age. I have experience driving at night and I can drive non stop 6 hours and I have done that few times and my friend he can drive like 11 hrs making 1 stop. We drove from Mt Rushmore to Dubuque, IA this year January all night.

We will be doing this on August 10, 2013.

Actually my real concern was how heavy traffic is on that road at night. I was thinking of highway 120 or is there any better option?

Edited: 10 July 2013, 02:23
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,398 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosimite National Park to las Vegas driving at night.

At night.... And miss all the scenery?? NO !

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosimite National Park to las Vegas driving at night.

I havo to be in vegas, so have to do it. So I was trying to find is it safe or not.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,398 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosimite National Park to las Vegas driving at night.

What time do you actually have to be in Vegas?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosimite National Park to las Vegas driving at night.

As early as possible, google shows about 7 hrs drive so, if I am in vegas around 1, 2 am then I can sleep in vegas. So my plan is to be there and rest I have to attain vegas before 9am if anything you suggeat me I would appreciate.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosimite National Park to las Vegas driving at night.

There is not going to be any traffic. It's a mountainous and curvy road so could be dangerous driving at night, esp if there is no moon. Aug 10 the moon is new, so the roads will be dark. From Mt. Rushmore to Dubuque is relatively flat and straight forward. I can't tell you if it's safe or not, that's for you to decide. Good luck.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,293 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosimite National Park to las Vegas driving at night.

The shortest route from Yosemite Valley (one very small part of Yosemite National Park) to Las Vegas is via Hwy 120 - 6 - 264 -266 - 95 and is over 7 hours of just driving. Be sure you have plenty of gasoline.

Since you're asking about driving in Nevada for most of this, try the Nevada or the Road Trips forum. You'll be out of Yosemite NP after 1 3/4 hrs of driving (assuming you're starting in the Valley.)

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yosimite National Park to las Vegas driving at night.

Thankyou for your suggestion, I will see what would be the best and thanks for telling me about the moon never thought about that. Thanks for great advice again, I do really appreciate for your tips.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yosimite National Park to las Vegas driving at night.

Tioga Pass is a mountain road, steep and curvy in spots. It has dramatic ups and downs and sweeping curves. Going down the east side of the Sierra Nevada is a greater elevation drop in a shorter distance than on the west. The scenery is magnificent, but of course that’s irrelevant in your case. I'd be more concerned about going over a cliff in the dark and no one even knowing, because nighttime traffic is not very heavy (99.9999% of the people who go there want to see the views). If someone survives the drop, you might be really fortunate and get a cell phone signal (if your phone survives) but that's chancy in much of the eastern Sierra.

There is plenty to see and do along Hwy 395: Mono Lake, June Lakes, Mammoth Lakes, Devil’s Postpile, Laws Museum, Eastern California Museum, Manzanar, Lone Pine, Alabama Hills, Mt. Whitney, and more. But it has to be daytime for you to see it. Critters often get onto the road at night, not just rabbits but also deer or elk (especially around the Mammoth area, which is forested). Of course you wouldn't want to run into one of them and be delayed reaching Las Vegas, so you need to be totally alert. You won't have time to see much in Death Valley National Park, which is as big as Connecticut and has many unique natural wonders like Mosaic Canyon, the Sand Dunes, Salt Creek, Devil's Golf Course, Badwater, Artist's Drive, Golden Canyon, 20 Mule Team Canyon, Zabriskie Point, and Dante's View. But again, this is irrelevant since it doesn't appear you are there to see the scenery.

The west side of Death Valley, between the Darwin turnoff and Emigrant Junction, has some tricky spots where you'll need to be alert. Between Father Crowley Vista Point and Panamint Springs resort is a stretch of narrow road that's like a slalom, with tight curves and steep dropoffs. Some places have guardrails, but you still don't want to get careless. This is another area where you may or may not survive a drop, and there will not be any cell coverage. After Panamint Springs, you ascend toward Townes Pass, and the following descent is long and continual, with a lot of curves and twists. At least it will be dark, so you won't be distracted by the gorgeous scenery.

Drive carefully and stay safe, so you can come back to California some day. We hope that you'll be able to return and spend the 2-4 days that are necessary to really see and enjoy this area.

Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park