We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on where to stay between San Fransisco and Yosemite.

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Topic
Advice on where to stay between San Fransisco and Yosemite.

My family of 7 (5 kids/2 adults) will be traveling from San Fransisco to Yosemite on 8/1. We want to stay close enough so that we can get up in the morning and have a full day visiting Yosemite (8/2) but we can not get reservations in the park. Any recommendations about places to stay. We are open to affordable hotels or campsites.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on where to stay between San Fransisco and Yosemite.

Look in the town of Groveland, such as Hotel Charlotte or America's Best Value Inn. That is close to the Big Oak Flat entrance of the park on Highway 120. Groveland is about a 1:15 drive from Yosemite Valley. With a family of 7, you might also consider trying for a cabin in Foresta, which is on Highway 140, only about a 15-minute drive from Yosemite Valley. With such a short notice it may be difficult to get something, but it's worth a try.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,774 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on where to stay between San Fransisco and Yosemite.

Campsite cancellations happen. Keep an eye on the website and snag one that becomes available. (I assume you're bringing camping gear with you.) Although the limit is 6 people, I don't think the camp host or ranger will bother you.

If you only have one night to spend in the area, try to get as close to the Valley as possible. That's the standard area for first time visitors to explore.

The Top Questions and Trip Ideas in the upper right has a wealth of information. Please read the lodging info, the Activities for Families with Kids, the relevant Trip Reports and the One Day & Weekend Trip Ideas.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on where to stay between San Fransisco and Yosemite.

With such a big group you should check Yosemite West where you can get a big space including kitchen, inside the park

www.yosemitewest.com/yoswestcontact.html

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on where to stay between San Fransisco and Yosemite.

Thanks for the suggestions. I read your one day trip idea - it sounds perfect! You mentioned looking at the top questions and trip ideas in the top right but I can't find a link that has those titles. I see "Things to Do" and assume the trip ideas is contained withing that. Can you point me in the right direction for the Top Questions because that also sounds like it might be useful to look at?

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on where to stay between San Fransisco and Yosemite.

Here's a link to the Yosemite Guide for August last year. You can get an idea of what is going on in the park during you visit this year by reviewing last year.

nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/yg12-6.pdf

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,774 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on where to stay between San Fransisco and Yosemite.

On the full TripAdvisor website, the right side is a column under your thread title with this info:

--

Top questions about Yosemite National Park

Where do we stay—Inside the park or outside the park?

Trip Reports: What have other travelers done in Yosemite?

What are good activities for families with children?

What do I need to hike Half Dome?

Should I visit on Memorial Day weekend?

What should I know about Yosemite bears?

What is the best month to visit Yosemite?

What is a good route to travel to Yosemite from Las Vegas?

How do I get to Yosemite using public transportation?

Do I really need tire chains to visit in the winter?

Where are the Yosemite National Park traveler articles?

Show less

Edit top questions

--

Yosemite National Park trip ideas

Day trips: Adventure

Weekend trips: Adventure

Longer trips: Adventure

Edit itineraries

=======

Other than the titles, everything is a blue hyperlink. If you can't see them because you only have a mobile device, let us know which questions you want to read and we'll post the links here. Or look at all the Traveler Articles: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-s1 or all the Trip Lists / Trip Ideas tripadvisor.com/…TRIPLISTS Note that some are better than others.

7. Re: Advice on where to stay between San Fransisco and Yosemite.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 06:19