We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic way to Yosemit from Lake Tahoe?

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Most scenic way to Yosemit from Lake Tahoe?

I have booked two nights in Yosemite in the middle of August. We had to leave early the next morning after our second night to get back to San Francisco for a flight.

We will be coming from Lake Tahoe and originally my intention was to leave Tahoe and spent a night in Columbia in between to see the historic state park and be closer to Yosemite to get more time there the following day (we will only have that day and the next full day).

However, I have been looking at the map and realised that if you come from Yosemite down Highway 395, you are travelling through national park land for more of the journey, so I presume it's more scenic than going across Highway 88 and out to Columbia that way?

I don't want to miss out on beautiful scenery by opting to have a night in Columbia. Can people advise on which is the more scenic way to go? If we come direct from Lake Tahoe down 395, is there somewhere else worth spending a night close to Yosemite Village or would we be advised to have another night in Lake Tahoe (we only have one), but then lose half a way which we could have spent in Yosemite travelling down the next morning?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic way to Yosemit from Lake Tahoe?

I would definitely do the 395 route. Quite beautiful on the eastern Sierra and different from what you will see in Yosemite.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,720 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most scenic way to Yosemit from Lake Tahoe?

I agree. Perhaps enjoy Bodie State Historic Park & Mono Lake on your travel day.

Tuolumne Meadows (inside Yosemite NP) is fabulous in August, so be sure you have plenty of time here as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Most scenic way to Yosemit from Lake Tahoe?

Thank you both for the replies. It's a shame not to see Columbia, but I had a feeling 395 would be the better way to come. If we come a day early, can you advise on somewhere we can stay along the way? We are spending the two nights in Yosemite at Wawona, so if we add in additional night before that, I guess it would be good to stay somewhere which allows us to see more of the park and complements what we could do in the next two days of our stay. I haven't worked out the itinerary for those yet, but I was hoping to do all the main sites.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,720 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most scenic way to Yosemit from Lake Tahoe?

Hi again

I recommend you read the relevant Top Questions and Trip Ideas on the right side of the page (on the full TripAdvisor website.) There are lodging suggestions for the eastern Sierra along with a map & drive time mileages. Also read the trip reports that sound like your travel style. And finally read the One Day and Weekend Trip Ideas.

Day 1 - Bodie, Mono Lake, maybe an afternoon hike in Tuolumne Meadows. Stay Tuolumne Meadows "Lodge" (tent cabins!), Lee Vining (basic), or June Lakes (more of a destination but further from Yosemite.

Day 2 - a bit more time to enjoy Tuolumne Meadows, Tenaya Lake, Olmsted Point, first view of Yosemite Valley, maybe some afternoon tourism in Yosemite Valley. Stay Wawona Hotel (or Redwoods, where ever)

Day 3 - Glacier Point & Yosemite Valley, in order you prefer. Both will be less crowded in the morning and more crowded in the afternoon. Stay Wawona.

Day 4 - Mariposa Grove in the morning before crowds arrive. Exit via the South Entrance and continue your tourism.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most scenic way to Yosemit from Lake Tahoe?

The 395 is our favorite route. Hope you can add another night in Tahoe to give you one full day there.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most scenic way to Yosemit from Lake Tahoe?

Go to Bodie if you can spare the time. It's the opposite of Columbia but in a stunning setting. Columbia is a re-created mining town and is great for kids with rides, shoot-outs, animals, and food offerings but Bodie is the real McCoy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Most scenic way to Yosemit from Lake Tahoe?

Thank you all. The suggested itinerary is really helpful. I think we're going to go to Calico ghost down elsewhere on our trip, so am not concerned about Bodie. Lake June looks lovely, but many of the picture I've seen on google have snow capped mountains. Is it as lovely in summer?

We could add a night in Lake Tahoe by travelling direct from San Francisco. Originally I had intended to stay a night in Napa Valley. Would you recommend going straight to Lake Tahoe? And if you had to choose between an extra day in Yosemite (making three) or an extra day in Tahoe (making 2), which would you pick?

8. Re: Most scenic way to Yosemit from Lake Tahoe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 05:17